Leaking Petcock. Buy new or repair kit?

FrashBrack

XS400 Member
Reaction score
As the title states, I have a leaky Petcock. I just bought the bike and it has cold start issues. Could the leaky Petcock be the culprit for this issue? Also, should I get a Petcock repair kit or just buy a new one, besides the leak, everything looks good. Attached is a picture of where the gas spurts out when it is running. The gasket in the repair kit looks way to thin to fill the space of the old leaking one.
Here is the bike I picked up: 1982 heritage special. Can anyone tell me the letter that proceeds the xs400 for a heritage special?
7157196173_76ce0615e5_z.jpg

Here is the leak spot, coming out the backside of the Petcock.
7157194663_c0b62ce483_z.jpg

Thanks, cant wait to get riding and do some mods!

Posted via Mobile

If you can hold on for another 48 hours with your leaky petcock, I will have a tutorial on rebuilding an OEM petcock available.

I was constantly having problems with my stock petcock, so I replaced mine with a universal petcock. I have not had any problems since.

Mine leaks when on prime, so I bought a new one. Wasn't cheap(80 or 90$??) but I try and replace parts with NOS when possible.

Here's the tutorial. It should answer your questions if you haven't purchased your new petcock already, and will cost you significantly less.
Best of luck!
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8033

So I bought a "repair kit" from a local parts store. The parts were too small and only included the switch ring, wave ring, and the 4 holed gasket. On further inspection, (especially after reading JARichmonds tutorial, thanks!) that maybe one of the PO'ers rebuilt the Petcock becauce the hole in the plastic spacer seems to be in wrong spot, and this is where the leak is coming from. Tomorrow I will remove the back of the Petcock an see whats going on.

Posted via Mobile

Sounds good. Around here we have a store that sells a massive set of o-rings in all sizes. I invested in a box just in case. Many of them fit the petcock. I'm not sure if Princess Auto is a local chain or not, but if they have them in BC you ought to invest in a set.

Sounds good. Around here we have a store that sells a massive set of o-rings in all sizes. I invested in a box just in case. Many of them fit the petcock. I'm not sure if Princess Auto is a local chain or not, but if they have them in BC you ought to invest in a set.

So I pulled the Petcock apart, cleaned everything, sanded the surfaces flat and shiney. The square gasket and plastic spacer were installed previously wrong, so I was super excited to put everything back together properly and see if the leak was gone. It still leaks! Argggg! Same spot, where that little hole exits the side of the plastic spacer. I'm wondering if I need to replace the square Vaccuum gasket. I got the bike running after about what felt like 50 kicks, while idling, I gave it some gas, revved fine, gave it some more gas and it spurted out the sidehole of the plastic spacer. As the gas shot out, the motor glugged, due to loss of gas. I really don't want that to happen while riding. I guess I'll replace the gasket and see what happens then.

It's more than likely a gasket issue then. Pretty sure it shouldn't be spurting out the side :p
Did you make sure the holes on the corners of the gasket were secure on the teeny-tiny posts? Also it's worth inspecting the spacer itself for damage.

The gasket was the only thing that was showing wear. It was a little stretched and had indents from those tiny posts becuase it was previously installed the wrong way. ( 90 degree turn and it sat perfectly in its posts) unbelievable how one could not have noticed this. I'm going to order the gasket and hopefully that works.

I Mayjorly lucked today try to return my defunct parts. Not only did they not have the Vaccuum gasket, but proclaimed that yamaha does not make the part and I would have to find it elsewhere. But just before leaving, the guy says "o ya, I've had this xs1100 Petcock rebuild kit forever, I'm not going to sell it, take it for FREE and see if works. So, for the 20th time, I drained the tank, disessembled The Petcock, put the new iffy gasket in and............................ It WORKED, no more leaks! And the best part..... Kick started first try. I'm in love.

Excellent! I'm very happy you got it to work. I've been checking my notes feverishly to see if I have missed something in the how-to. Glad to know it's working as it should!

Back