Let me see your rear end

danno

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am contemplating building a trike, but really need to see how it could be done. Best idea I could come up with is using the rear swingarm and axle assembly from a 4 wheeled atv. Probably not the best idea, so if anyone has other suggestions, I would welcome them. I am looking to do this on the cheap, so a professional trike conversion kit is not in the budget.

Might want to consider the power (or lack thereof) that an xs400 produces.

Mine is tuned pretty well, and is a dog with me on it. My xs650 that is not tuned is night and day compared to it. With a trike you will not only have a heavier rear end, but also the weight of an additional rim/tire.

I realize that quarter mile times would likely need to be recorded in minutes instead of seconds, but if it would go down the road at 60 mph in relative comfort, I would be thrilled. The trike would be more of a novelty and a grocery getter than a daily ride. And the 400 is one of my bikes that I wouldn't feel bad about altering, since it is kind of rough. I was just wondering if anyone else has built one, after all, there is a topic dedicated to adding that third wheel.

Here's one I found a few days ago on google. One of the pictures was on a forum that I joined to contact the member but he never got back to me.

All I know about it is that it's an '82 xs400 trike that uses a 3-wheeler rear end.

Attachments

• xs400trike01.jpg
    xs400trike01.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,351
  • xs400trike02.jpg
    xs400trike02.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 404
Thanks for the pic, Travis. So it can be done! I think a wider rear axle in conjunction with a lower rear suspension and a raked front end would look more proportionate. I have an old set of Torque Thrust "D"s and a pair of ducktail Holsclaw boat trailer fenders that I am anxious to use on a trike build. Anyone else have any trike pics?

Thanks for the pic, Travis. So it can be done! I think a wider rear axle in conjunction with a lower rear suspension and a raked front end would look more proportionate. I have an old set of Torque Thrust "D"s and a pair of ducktail Holsclaw boat trailer fenders that I am anxious to use on a trike build. Anyone else have any trike pics?

That would be pretty cool and with a DOHC motor,you have more power and 6 sp trans,and you could play with exhaust,pods,jetting,etc,and ratios with the quad rearend.Raking the neck would be a good thing as well.good luck..lha

Since Power isn't your thing, have fun...cut off the seat and put on a springer seat and build a rack for an old Coca Cola Ice chest as a trunk. Kind of like an old servi car.

Attachments

• servi car..jpg
    servi car..jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 333
Back