Lost power on freeway. Carbs? I HOPE NOT. Electrical mabey?

iglehart332

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello again guys. Wow I hate always coming to the boards with problems. But my bike is sitting across town broke down (Sold my truck, got a bike.. go figure). I thought I had everything sorted out on this thing but today I was riding home from work and lost power going down the freeway. It all started when I went to pick up the bike after having a new chain put on. Ill try to keep this short.. Bike was having a hard time starting, Got it started, acted like it wanted to die on idle(idle set to 1200 rpm), DID die on idle at the light :mad: , Wouldn't start again, 2 blocks from home so I walked it, thought it was batt, charged batt, started up and idled fine but then died, My dad said it sounded like fuel flow and put it on reserve, ran and idled fine for a couple short rides, fine all the way to work (half freeway commute 5-6k @ 70mph), died coming home @ 70 mph noticed a gradual loss in power and pulled over. Wont start. Auto zone says good batt 100% charge reading 12.8V. I can also see fuel in the fuel line after the in line filter.. :confused:

Help me out guys. Paul

I agree with yr dad and sounds like a fuel flow problem. Last night I was in a town 25 miles from home and I had exact same happen to me while on highway & immediately switched petcock to prime (like a manual petcock ON). Going into this town I switched to reserve, it died at the light. I lost no time in pushing it around the corner - and was expecting to have to. It must have been ladies bowling league night, outside, smoking, watching to see what I would figure out, HA.
It was exactly what I expected and figured might happen. The vacuum line that I have for the petcock to intake boot would want to work it's way up. Wasn't sure if it would make it all the way off ever. It did. Also looking at the other end of the line, at the petcock it was partially off.
I removed the tank and put small 3/8" spring type hose clamps on both ends (at the intake barb and the fuel petcock). vacuum hose not going anywhere now. :wink2:

I agree with yr dad and sounds like a fuel flow problem. Last night I was in a town 25 miles from home and I had exact same happen to me while on highway & immediately switched petcock to prime (like a manual petcock ON). Going into this town I switched to reserve, it died at the light. I lost no time in pushing it around the corner - and was expecting to have to. It must have been ladies bowling league night, outside, smoking, watching to see what I would figure out, HA.
It was exactly what I expected and figured might happen. The vacuum line that I have for the petcock to intake boot would want to work it's way up. Wasn't sure if it would make it all the way off ever. It did. Also looking at the other end of the line, at the petcock it was partially off.
I removed the tank and put small 3/8" spring type hose clamps on both ends (at the intake barb and the fuel petcock). vacuum hose not going anywhere now. :wink2:

Whoa, 226 that makes so much sense. A couple of weeks ago I noticed the little rubber vacuum barb cap poped off in the garage (how I don't know). But I haven't checked the vacuum line from the tank. I hope that's what it is. Would make my day alot easier!

Back