Louder after valve adjustment?

buzzstpoint

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well a lot has been done today.

Changed brake pads, flushed brake system, lots of gel in the system.
Adjusted chain slack.
Did a valve adjustment. But here is where the strangeness begins. After the adjustment I fire the bike up, and it's louder then it normally was. Now it runs a whole lot better. But louder....

Would a valve adjustment do that?

What was the numbers you adjusted the valves to?Also if you let your wrench slip back while you were at tdc your adjustment is probably off.I would double check the adjustment have a buddy help you if you can.

I just went back and looked. And I have the gaps too big. I was q the gauges wrong.
I wanted to put intakes at .010mm but I actually used the inch scale.

I have to regap.

yea mine was a bit louder after I adjusted my valves too, but good thing you checked since you did it wrong ;)

I use .004 intake and .007 exhaust. Adjusting the left side first then right and don't let the wrench move back or slack in the cam chain will cause a bad adjustment.

As the valves wear, valve stem to rocker tolerances get tighter because the valves gradually seat deeper and deeper into the head, causing the valve stem to rise. Less space between the valve stem and rocker equals less noise.

When you reset the clearance back to stock, there is more space between the stem and rocker and more noise is not unusual at all even though it doesn't always happen.

...if you set them way too big, probably no harm, but less power too. I set mine in the middle to high end of the spec.

As the valves wear, valve stem to rocker tolerances get tighter because the valves gradually seat deeper and deeper into the head, causing the valve stem to rise. Less space between the valve stem and rocker equals less noise.

When you reset the clearance back to stock, there is more space between the stem and rocker and more noise is not unusual at all even though it doesn't always happen.

...if you set them way too big, probably no harm, but less power too. I set mine in the middle to high end of the spec.

This might be my issue. My valves sound a but funny, a friend suggested something might be worn out. Does it need replacement or simply consideration wen setting valves?

If it were me, I'd check the valves, rockers and adjusters for anything out of the ordinary and set them to spec and see what it sounds like. A little ticking is a good thing. Sometimes the valve stems can get worn dished so it is hard to tell what the actual clearance is.

What would happen if you adjust the carbs on the wrong stroke? I readjusted my valves a few days ago and now it tick really loudly and I'm thinking that might be why. Any ideas?

If you don't have the pistons at the correct stop the adjustments will be off.

Yep, that's exactly what I did.:banghead: The LT swung by so fast that I didn't see it and I thought that I was hitting the right one. They were WAY too loose. Whoops.:D

It's been my experience that you have to find the compression stroke by using the feeler gauges. On the compression stroke you can slip the feeler in and 360 degrees later the gap is too tight to even force it in. This has worked for me on a wide variety of engines.

- my 2 cents.

Well when I did it, I was really scratching my head because I had to tighten them way down. I just figured I did it wrong the first time because it was my first time, ever. Turns out I was right all along. On I side note, I think I'm going to buy stock in gaskets.lol

Well after valve adjustment the low end is really boggy and hesitation. Higher speed I can crank it down and it goes fine.
Going to recheck valves ths weekend and carb adjust.
It was mentioned that my low jet could too small. I'll have to check was size are in the carb.

Finally got the valve adjusted correctly. I checked again and this time the bike rune real nice. Good acceleration at high and low speed. On a test got this thing up to 75.

Still have a small hesitation at very slow or stop when starting. Seems like a dead spot in the throttle.

Back