Wanted - Mag wheels, disc brake parts, carbs, and more.

hjennings

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1982 XS400. It has 16" rear / 19" front spoke wheels with drum brakes. First picture is my bike. Second picture is the type of wheels I'm wanting.

I am in search of a 17" or 18" rear mag wheel with disc and a 19" front matching mag wheel with disc. I'd like to have a dual disc front wheel, but single disc is fine. Slotted or not slotted, doesn't matter as long as the front and rear discs match (both slotted or both non-slotted).

I am also in search of all the necessary parts to swap over to disc brakes (calipers, master cylinders, lines, and front lower tubes).

And finally, I need a good set of carbs.

I know a lot of people are wanting to go to the lighter spoke wheel / drum brake set-up. If there is somebody out there wanting to work a trade, I'd be willing to work some kind of deal.

Thanks!

Harry

Attachments

• Yamaha.jpg
    Yamaha.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 283
  • Yamahabobber.jpg
    Yamahabobber.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 556
You mean 18" front wheel right? The xs400 only came with 18" front wheels.

No, I'm wanting a 19" off of one of the larger XS bikes. I've attached a picture to show the type of wheels I'm looking For. :bike:

Attachments

• magwheel.JPG
    magwheel.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
SR500's also have the 19" front, AFAIK no 17" exist period only 16" and 18" rears. I am running the 19" front and 18 rear on my build. The 19" front has a thicker axle on the SR500 so I went with the entire SR front end as opposed to tracking down bearings (also SR front end is beefier with 35mm forks and triples and big disks). If you are interested, I have a complete SR500 drum brake rear end (swing arm, mag wheel, shocks) and a complete front end (36mm aluminum TT500 triples, 36mm Virago535 forks, 18"xs400 mag wheel, 4 piston FZR 600 brake caliper, SR500 disk) You've already got a rear brake pedal setup and IMO it looks cleaner as in that SR500 pic you posted.

Here's my projects XS400 and SR500 respectively

Last edited:
MotoTrooper, thanks! In searching I've realized there are no 17" rears. I don't want a 16" rear. 18" rear is the way I want to go then.

Question on the front... what are the stock tube diameters for the XS400? For other XS bikes? Is there a list somewhere?

And on the rear... can a shaft drive wheel be converted to chain drive?

I was looking at a set of 18rear/19front wheels with brake hardware off of an XS750. If I were to go with them, could I uses the XS750 lower fork tubes, or would I need to either get XS400 tubes or replace the entire front end (for mounting the brake hardware).

I've thought of sticking with a rear drum, but I'd rather have front and rear disc.

Thanks!

I haven't started tearing down the bike yet. I've swapped fork tubes and triple trees on Harley bikes before, but not sure what I'm getting into here as far as how the tubes mount. I saw on another thread somebody mentioned boring their stock triple tree to accept larger tubes. Is that actually possible? So far on the bikes I've worked on the tubes screw into the triple tree, so you'd have to replace the entire triple tree to move to a larger fork tube.

Yeah, it's possible to bore out to a larger size on triples. Say going up to 35mm tubes, it's just boring the things out 1 mm. I've gone down that thought path but ended up that it's not worth the trouble -for me. As far as modding the shaft drive to chain drive... I've seen it done reversed, but machining and welding up a cush drive and sprocket. Unless you live for challenges you should be able to easily find a disk brake mag locally or on this site.

You mean 18" front wheel right? The xs400 only came with 18" front wheels.

OK I picked up an 18" rear mag wheel from Germany. After doing some mock ups I'd really like to find an 18" front wheel with dual discs. I found one 18" front mag, but it was a drum wheel. Rest I'm finding are all 19" wheels. Grrr. :banghead:

Back