Maxim 400 brat build

Kipp

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all. New member here. Bought a 83 maxim 400 last week and have started into turning it into a brat style bike. I was hoping someone here could help me with suggesting a flat brat style tank to replace the teardrop stock tank. I'm trying to find a tank that will work on it without a complete frame rework. Would a xs400 tank fit? Also I want to level the bike and I have already lowered the front. How do I raise the back mono shock?

Any help is appreciated. Will post pics too

Here is the bike currently, and the tank i am going to try and fit.

I need some help and could use some advice with.

- Lowering the instruments and light
- Removing the airbox and moving / replacing the battery.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6593.jpg
    IMG_6593.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 562
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 9.37.15 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 9.37.15 AM.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 600
I am removing the airbox and need some advice on pods. Will i have to rejet the carbs too? I have read that they're different because of where the battery is on the stock airbox?

Some bikes did have slightly different jetting between left and right carbs to accomodate slightly different stock intake tracts.

Switching to pods will require rejetting but at least the new jets should match from left to right.

There are a LOT of posts on jetting and pod filters. The exact configuration is almost always unique to the bike's pod intake, engine, and exhaust combination, but there have been some example jet configurations posted.

If you can, try to keep the stock H-pipe, or at least read up on the varying quality of pod filters and pods blocking carb intake ports.

I bought a new tank for the maxim and it has this type of petcock.

I don't understand what kind of petcock valve i need to buy to fit this.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20150910_091639004.jpg
    IMG_20150910_091639004.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 463
Hey - thanks for the reply.

I don't know what it was like. When i bought the tank it came just as my picture shows. No petcock - just this. That's why i'm trying to work out what it must have looked like.

Hey - thanks for the reply.

I don't know what it was like. When i bought the tank it came just as my picture shows. No petcock - just this. That's why i'm trying to work out what it must have looked like.

Unless you are going to restore it, this one should work.

Hello! I have an 82 Maxim 400 that I was recently given, and am turning into a project bike. I very much like the brat/tracker bike aesthetic, and just found this thread! Look forward to following the progress.

I am trying to get mine running, but want to explore a tracker style when I finally get to modifying things. I am looking to remove air box and replace with the pod filters. I am not very versed on how they work, I'm assuming they just pop into the ends of the carbs via the rubber boot, and you remove air box, then tune jetting? Any links you could provide to the ones you purchased? I'd like to check them out!

Best regards

Update. New tank from an old kz650 installed and cleaned (vinegar is the best) finally got a petcock for the tank and made it work (took three petcocks before I found one that would fit). Removed the airbox etc and added filters. (Any 54mm will work)

Now the bike won't start :)

It had been running fine before swapping the tanks out so may take this chance to remove and clean the carbs.

Now I need to wire up my new speedo and light. And then fit the electrics under a seat that I'm going to make.

Any tips on battery placement. I'll need a new smaller lithium battery I think.

Kipp!

Thanks for the update. Giving my carbs a good rub down at the moment. Soaking them in Seafoam.

Did the kz tank just drop right onto the frame? Or did you have to make any modifications?

54mm inside diameter for the pod filters?

That looks fantastic! The handle bars as well. Really getting a nice streamline look, and is encouraging to see the potential this bike has! I am just looking forward to getting mine cranked haha.

Back