modified monostrut

newbbuilder

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all..82 maxim with the monostrut.. I'm looking at options to lower my bike..have Tuesquare tube to bolt in and hard tail it but had the thought.can iI just cut a coil out of the mono so it sits lower?...iI want some advice before I destroy a perfectly fine strut that I'm sure I can sell to fund the build

if you haven't already started cutting, don't. The big thing you'll have to look at is travel length. There is only so much room between the frame and swing arm (shown in the picture) so think about how low you want to go, then how much travel length the shock will have or else when you hit that big bump you'll be bucked off and your frame will get bent. I added a shock from an R6 with the preload at max. My 200lb buddy can bounce hard on that thing, leaving about 5mm of clearance, but my bike will strictly be a sunny day cruiser. So, with that all said, it might be easier to go hardtail with seat springs. Good luck. :bike:

Oh, I should add I will most likely change it up since I needed to fab an "adapter" to fit the shock in there. I just happen to have the shock lying around and wanted to try it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20130609_143450_111.jpg
    IMG_20130609_143450_111.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 237
Back