Mono shock suggestions

jdizon

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to go mono-shock on my xs400. Any suggestions on a good mono-shock to go with?

Thanks,
Johann

What do you mean by good? What do you want? Extreme performance and handling or? I'd get an Ohlins shock.

What do you mean by good? What do you want? Extreme performance and handling or? I'd get an Ohlins shock.

I'm looking for a decent shock for performance and handling around the city. I'll look into the Ohlins.

Thanks,
Johann

I recommended before actually seeing your build thread. I was half joking in my recommendation. Ohlins are very good and very expensive, but in general fully rebuildable. You might be able to score a decent used one and you can obviously fab a longer or shorter mount/dog bones to suit your needs. If you do go with an Ohlins it will definitely give you some performance "wow" when looking at the bike.

Have you looked into an Aprilia upside down fork setup? There are several people here that have done the conversion and it is not beyond your abilities.

Thank you guys for the info. It's much appreciated. Spec dog you still have the shock available? I'll send you a pm.

Just a word about converting your xs400 to monoshock, you'd be doing yourself a huge favor to look very closely to how the rear suspensions were designed to make use of that format. Some shocks require the use of rising rate linkages to function effectively some don't. Also swing arm construction comes into play as swingarms designed for twin shocks are designed to take loads near the axle (where the shock lowers bolt on) as well as being as light(ish) a design as possible. Bolting a shock to a point nearer the swing arm pivot could place loads and stresses on that arm it wasn't designed for. So fabbing a brace for the swingarm would be in order or using a monoshock swing arm designed for that application.

For reference here's two Yamahas I 'monoshocked'. The first is an XV535 Virago where I reengineered the rear suspension, the second is an SR500 where I grafted an FZR600 rear suspension to the frame.

For reference here's two Yamahas I 'monoshocked'. The first is an XV535 Virago where I reengineered the rear suspension, the second is an SR500 where I grafted an FZR600 rear suspension to the frame.

Do you have a gallery with more photos/bikes you've worked on?

Back