My '78 2e Build

pinchflat

XS400 Member
Reaction score
After a long wait I am finally putting my XS back together.
I have added a rear loop to the frame and built a tray to go under the seat for my battery and electronics. My kids demanded that if I modify the little XS it needed to still be 2 up. With that in mind I built a "brat style" seat for it.
The engine is painted black as well as the wheels. I think I like the stock tank color with the gold Renthal bars.
Yes I know the rear wheel is on backwards. It is the first time its been sitting on its own wheels in months!
IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

Nice job with the seat, loop, and tray. It has a good stance too. Be sure to lower the headlight with custom brackets/ears; it looks bad ass when the light is at the same height as the gas tank.

I may have to run the stock headlamp for now. I am looking in to some LED lights.

Also, I purchased some bar end mirrors but hey wont fit my Renthal bars. Any recommendations? I really don't want to run "Micky Mouse ear" looking mirrors.

Are they 1" bars or something?

I like this style in the picture, but don't ask me where to get them!

Attachments

• OneMotorcycle__0060.jpg
    OneMotorcycle__0060.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 271
I stopped by my local bike shop and they set me up with wedges from Moose Racing. They were made for bash guards. The problem was the I D of my bar was too small.

I am getting very close to road ready now. Engine, wire harness, gauges, and brakes are all installed. Tomorrow I will clean up the wiring and pick up a new bolt for my rear shock (somehow I lost it), and install my exhaust. I am having a small issue with my seat mount but it should be an easy fix.
xs400 engine in.jpg

if you want to lower the stock head light, take off the bracket and sleeves by taking off the forks flip it over and cut off the front badge, i learned this from pipe burner. nice , and easy :)

Success!
I have finished the build. (are we ever truly finished?)
After a long night and most of a day I got it up and running. I did have a bit of an issue that turned out to be a missed ground lead. I took it out for a quick rip around town and it ran good. Out on the highway I dropped a cylinder so I need to tear down the carbs again I think, but so it goes.

As for the seat length I think mine is 10" past the shocks IIRC.

I also just picked up an 80 special for the wife along with a parts bike. I may need help.:D
molly 1.jpg

very short vid

Nice job! I think it's time for some larger rear shocks though. You're maxing those little guys out without a passenger. Are they set to max pre-load?

Yeah the rear is setting a bit low. The shocks are not that compressed it is just low. I should have lowered the shock mounts. I think I need something in the 13.5" range.

I bought some from MikesXS; 14.4" shocks were only $75 plus shipping. They are made for the 650, but fit perfect. With the tail jacked up the steering will tend to be more responsive; you'll turn in faster (require less input). It won't be crazy or anything, just a little different.

I received my longer shocks today from Dime City Cycles. Really nice guys and quick shipping. I also received a new headlamp that I am yet to install.
The longer shocks make a huge difference. I don't think I will ever have a problem with rear wheel clearance now.

molly long shocks.jpg

close up.jpg

I went with the 14.4" (356mm)
They are really firmly sprung. With my 200lbs and my son at 80 lbs they don't move much at one notch up on preload.
With just me on it I have them set at 0.
It feels like a race bike though!

Back