my axle bolt wont come out?

20eyes

XS400 Member
Reaction score
does anybody have any tips or tricks for getting the front axle bolt out of a 1982 xs400? is there something i dont know? i dont want to hurt the threads or the bolt but the thing will not come out!? take a hammer to it?

no, are you sure you've loosened all it's retention bolts? You have to loosen the lower fork retainer that has two nuts, on the far side of the axle. I feel like there may be another retaining bolt that i always forget.

in other words, it should easily come out when everything is loosened. so you're right. Dont' force it. Look at the parts diagram if you're stuck. Loosen part 22 by removing the bolts that hold it, labelled nuts part 24

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1976/XS360C/FRONT+FORK/parts.html

If you're lost, go to partzilla.com and enter your bike, year, model, and find the part you're looking for. The assembly is always the same as the diagram. Can't go wrong!

Def do not hit it too hard. It should come out easily. Make sure everything is unbolted, and try lifting the wheel a bit to remove some pressure from the bolt.

I personally had to use a hammer to get mine out. I took my bolts all the way out and it still gave me trouble. I had to give it quite a pop and it came out. Nothing seems ruined, but hitting things with a hammer is always a last resort in my eyes. Good luck

If the axle hasn't been out in a few years it can rust to the bearing spacer in the hub. If rusted very badly it can take a lot to get out.
Soak well with the penatrating oil you like best. Put the bike close to a solid object. Like the leg of your work bench. Put blocking between the fork and solid object. Thread the nut on so the end of the axle is flush with the nut. Use a block of wood to protect the axle/nut. Now hit with a big hammer. If it moves a bit then move the blocking and drive it back in. Work it in both directions untill it comes out.
Get some anti-sieze, clean the axle well, clean the inside of the bearing spacer. Use plenty of anti-sieze on the axle when installing.
Leo

Back