My Downward Spiral Into Fork Oil Paranoid Insanity :wtf:

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So, I bought myself some Racetech springs and installed them today. Before doing so, I got all of my info in order. With my tubes fully compressed, the oil should be filled to 150mm from the top. I decided to go with Spectro 15 weight. Then, springs + washer + spacer + washer + cap (in that order). I actually veered away a little and did NOT do the washer before the cap as it seemed a little redundant for my Seca's system.

Coffee in hand, doin' this and that, after lifting the bike up on the jack I popped the stock suspension out (which by the way had fresh fork oil and brand new seals). All I needed to do was get the right amount of oil in there and piece everything back together with a little bit of preload. I decided that just over 10mm above the tube comppressed downward is a good starting point (our stock springs are flush with the rim). We'll see how that feels.

Here's where I need your advice and moral support ...

As I mentioned, the reps at Racetech told me over the phone to fill the oil to 150mm below the top of the tube. However, I didn't want to remove the forks from the bike. I just wanted to swap the springs. So, I went ahead and marked some clear plastic hosing at the 150mm point and went about dipping it to said marking before using my hand-pump-vac to pull out the excess. I'm guessing this might put the oil ever so slightly lower than 150 (because the forks are at an angle on the bike) but, since the forks are fully compressed (engine almost touching the floor) the angle is actually almost compensated.

[By the way, our bikes look freakin' COOL with the front end all low to the ground like that LOL]

At one point, my senses flinched and I got paranoid ... was the hosing dipped to the line as I intended? Did I not line it up correctly at the rim? Paranoia.

Now, everything is back together and I'm nervous that both sides having slightly less than 150 is "a drastic mishap" even though the rep said "meh, 'bout 150mm from the top" without really having to look it up.

Then, even if I DID get it spot on ... I might have made a mistake and taken a little too much out of one side.

My gut tells me that a) I did everything right and the fraction of an mm won't even be noticeable and also b) I did, in fact, measure and remove the excess oil properly on both sides.

- BUT HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1) Was my decision to use their specs with the forks slightly angled (on the bike) a bad idea and will it be noticeable?

2) If I did mistakenly take too much oil out of one side and one side ONLY ... what can I expect from the bike in terms of it "telling me" this? How will she respond?

It's a long post, I know, but these are the questions I need to regain my sanity.

Music that compliments my fears -

If your lucky enough to live someplace where its warm just take it out for test drive and see how it feels,that should tell you what you need to know.

you'll be fine, its a bit of an art and as long as you have oil in there, your not going to do any damage or make the bike unridable.

you can mess with the levels and weights if you so inclined.

24 degrees of sweltering Chicago winter ... I took 'er out for a 5 mile run and even if I did get something wrong, she feels 20, hell 50 times better than before. Those stock springs would've been better off in a mattress factory.

Back