Need help, getting a spark without kicking over engine, bad Ignition Module?

AndyJ

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've searched several topics and can't find what would cause my bike to create a spark 2-3 seconds after turning on the ignition.. without kicking it over or hitting the starter. It also sparks once a few seconds after kicking it over. It's only the right side. So I switched the coils and it's still only in the right side.
Could this be a regulator/rectifier issue?
The bike has been running strong but recently started fouling plugs on the right side. Runs poorly now.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
It's a 1981 (electronic ignition.)
Thanks!
Andy

TCI ignitions will cut power to the coils after a few seconds of no ignition events to prevent damage to the coils.

I'd be checking the manual and testing the ignition system. Sounds like you have an issue brewing. Possibly the TCI module failing.

Ok so the battery was low 11.92v due to multiple tries and lights on lights off etc.. so I charged it overnight to 13.4v. Bike always starts first kick and did so but was still misfiring in the right side. What's interesting is that after turning on the ignition switch, the right side still arched but it's barely noticeable with a charged battery.. the undercharged battery gave a much more noticeable arch. Can this info help zero in on the issue? I checked continuity along the connectors at the ignition unit (all good) but have no idea what each diode etc should be reading. I'm tempted to buy a used one in eBay for $65..
Thanks again for any input.

Back