Need help - hardtail

Yeah, Skillzman, you're describing a slug. The previous hardtail wasn't slugged at all, but the new one will be....Travis's kit even came with two slugs. Volcom, slugs don't have to be solid, they can be another diameter of tube, but you should try to at least keep the same thickness as the frame rail you're putting it into.

I would actually make an argument to not use solid slugs. Maybe volcom was just clairifying a terminology thing (slugs=solid, sleeve=not solid ???). Solid slugs will more efficiently pull the heat away from the weld which you don't want because that can cause brittleness in the HAZ (heat-affected zone) of the weld. You want the weld to air cool on its own. The cooler the metal around the weld, and the more volume of metal surrounding the weld, the quicker the weld will cool. I could be wrong about all of that, but there are a couple of other good reasons not to use solid slugs like lack of flexing and lack of weld penetration.

Besides, solid slugs are total "overkill" as far as strength goes. If your welding was up to par, you wouldn't even need slugs (in theory). Slugs/sleeves are just a bonus, so don't overdo them so much that they cause more harm than good. So in my opinion, slug your butt joints with smaller tubing (sleeves), make good welds at the seams, and add couple of rosette welds and you'll be good to go. :twocents:

with the slug thing, thats what i was describing. and thank you HT and Travis for that clarification. i appreciate it. so now i know what i need. lol thanks guys

Hey 01ps...can I get a few closer shots of the hardtail? In particular where it comes together with the stock frame cradle. I like the lap weld you did on the bottom rails, and may try to duplicate that if it's alright with you. I will take pics of anything you can get....doing a little more research before cutting my bike in half again, so I can do it RIGHT this time. lol Thanks for any help man!

Also how much stretch is that? How many links are in your chain now?
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, on vaca.

The stretch is about 5". I can't remember how many links to be honest, I just got a couple of cheaper chains and made one out of it. The tensioner is an industrial idler sprocket, which happens to be the same pitch as 530 m/c chain.

I don't have any pics of the slugs or any mid-build pics unfortunatly, I was in a panic to get it done. I can take a couple of closeups of the finished product, but the drawings above explain it better I think. The upper method worked really well and should be way stronger than even needed, and you don't need any specially machined parts, just off the shelf round stock and tubing.

The lower method is very simple and easy but is plenty strong, just a bit of trial and error to get the tubing cut properly so it looks clean and does not have any gaps.

My hardtail was done from scratch with simple tools and a simple jig, since I did not have access to a machine shop or the budget to have it machined. I MIG welded it myself since I did not have access to a TIG and again, was on a budjet A MIG does a nice job too, and is plenty strong.

Like I said above, the only thing I'd change if I did it again are the axle plates.

Use any ideas you want of mine. Good luck, and let me know if you still want finished pics, the bike is just on the other side of the wall.

Thats beautiful! does that have any rake on it? I'm working on an xs400 over the winter and I've decided to hardtail. What all did you do?

Back