New 1978 XS400 Owner

Edward

1978 XS400E
Reaction score
Hello all!

Bought this bike from a guy that I shared garage spots with as he was moving out.

IMAG0483.jpg

I did some internet googling and found a couple threads that I believe to be the same guy. so I have some info on what's been done and what needs to be done to get it running.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6923
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9579

I've been riding for quite a few years now, on an 01 GS500. I honestly haven't had to do much with the bike. I do all my own maintenance, but haven't even touched the carbs in all those years, so I'm pretty new to everything. I'll probably start off by pulling the carbs off and see what needs to be replaced (based on the threads above).

Ed

Welcome looks like your bike has some good potential.As for taking the carbs off even for a new leaner they are pretty easy to figure out.Theres not alot of moving parts inside.The main things to check is to get all your passages sqeaky clean.Check the diaphrams inside and make sure they`re not dry rotting or cracking.Dont know if you plan on making any mods such as adding pods or changing the mufflers but while you have your carbs apart this would be the time to make jetting changes.Everyone says clean these things numerous times.If you just double check everything the first time they will be clean.Dissasemble them and boil the bodies in venniger and or lemon and lime juice or let them soak in chem dip.Blow out all the passages and use a fine wire to probe around make sure you get all the gunk out ofthe holes.Be very carefull in remove your brass jets or they slotted heads will get messed up to the point you have to use an easy out reverse thread tool to remove them.

Thanks for the welcome! I actually just PM'd a guy from the Classifieds section about a pair of Pods he had for sale. I don't really know if it's in the direction I want to go, but why not. I'll probably just try get it running first, then rejet with the pods.

After lurking a lot the last couple days, it seems that the first step for everyone's issue is to clean the carbs (and then clean it again).

I have an inline filter,my tank inside is spotless.I have had my carbs apart 5 times.To me its not matter of how many times you clean them the 1st time its a matter of keeping them clean after they have been reinstalled after cleaning.I just had my carbs apart yesterday I found crud in the bottom of the fuel bowls.Could be sucking diirt from the airboxes Im unsure but I now have pods so I`ll see if theres any difference for better.

Back