New 1978 XS400 Owner!

faze

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Faze's 1978 XS400 Build

Hey guys! Long time lurker, just got the bike today. My buddy has had this poor bike in his shed for the past 10 years (at least), and he told me he would give it to me a while ago, so I had already dug around the site quite a bit. I finally registered now that I have the bike in my garage. It doesn't run, it's missing the air boxes, and it is absolutely filthy. But, I am stoked!

My main ride is 2012 R1, so having a more reasonable bike to ride around town has been on my mind for a while. It's too cold in Michigan to clean her up yet, but that will be step one. I would like to take the bike in a street tracker direction, but I may hew close to stock for the first pass until she's up and running. Regardless, I am looking forward to getting some good feedback and wisdom from you all!

Pics to follow!

Edited a couple times regarding the year.

EDIT: Original title: New 1978 XS400 Owner!

Last edited:
Okay, now I am not sure what year it is. The VIN starts with 2L0, which seems to mean it is a 1978 or 1979. Anyone able to tell me how to tell the difference? My buddy was "sure" it was a 1976, but I was sure it had to be a '77.

Okay, I figured out the bike is 1978 XS400E. The vin is 2L0-0097XX. 1978s start at 2L0-000101 and 1979s start at 2L0-100101. I found this information in the Genuine Yamaha manual I was lucky enough to receive with the bike.

You can also tell by the build dates. The 78's where built in 77 and the 79's are in 78:)

From what I've read, the 78s first saw life in 9/77 and the 79s started production in 9/78... though I imagine they were being cranked out the whole year through. Not sure yet where to look for the build date. It's so cold out, I am not spending much time in my unheated garage.

As promised, here are the pics from when she first arrived at her new home.

Mileage: 7,527 miles (original)
Color: Black

It appears that there are some aftermarket parts, even though my buddy said it was all original. I think he was the second owner, and the original owner installed the seat with the sissy bar back rest thing, and the pipes/mufflers are black, which looks pretty cool, but I doubt is stock. Can anyone tell me about it? There is a front windshield which is why there are some funky bars sticking out of the front. I plan on ditching that, along with the seat back (and probably that whole seat).

Attachments

• 20140125_154541.jpg
    20140125_154541.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 20140125_154549.jpg
    20140125_154549.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 295
The exhaust look to be a MAC aftermarket 2-1. The seat and back rest is not stock. The seat looks like it's from a xs650 or another brand of some kind. Looks like you have some work ahead of you. Make sure to get some air filters on it:wink2:

Faze, lookin good, to me the bike is a steal, low mileage, all there...But what is that white stuff, some kinda flour, or my god snow,ha,ha...Welcome to the fun..Spad

That is the ugliest back rest/sissy bar I've ever seen. Bike looks to be on workable shape! You have your work cut out, but all in all, this should come together nicely.

If the seat connects with the stock mounts, the pan could be useful to you, depending how stripped down you want to make the joke. I personally an going for a street fighter look in the long run, but an keeping stock battery box and side covers, so using the stock seat pan its nice because my access to these items isn't compromised.

I have talked with a local guy here in SF that will shave and upholster the seat with tuck and roll treatment for about $150, and he thinks the transition from my stepped seat into a street fighter/moto look should be straight forward. I'll make a before and after post once I have the work done.

Cheers and welcome to the forum! These are super fun little bikes:D

Posted via Mobile

Thanks for the comments, guys! Yeah, we've had a little bit of snow this year.

The air filters were tossed out by my friend's mom; he had them soaking in gasoline, and she thought they were garbage, but I do have the side covers! The back rest is super ugly as Tombo said, and I will probably just go out and unbolt it in the next day or two (just so I don't have to look at it). It ran more or less when my buddy parked it over a decade ago, but rumor has it the carbs need adjusting (go figure!), and it probably needs some clutch work... in addition to a million other things.

The tires are rotten as hell, so I would love some advice there. I was checking out Bike Bandit, and I was curious about the IRC GS-11. I don't have experience with "off-brand" tires (mostly a Pirelli or Michelin guy, though my R1 has Dunlops, and my car is on some Bridgestone snowies). I've heard that it's wise to stay with the stock 3.00x18/3.50x18 setup, though I see that some guys are using metric tires. Any input here is appreciated. Also considering a tracker style build, so maybe I should consider more dual sport oriented tires?

Also, there is a lot of rust on the chrome. Can I polish most of that off by hand? Is there a good resource to show how-to clean it up?

As for the seat, since it's not stock, I don't know if it's the right pan or if it mounts properly. I still have to figure out how to check that. If I could reuse it and get it reupholstered that would be awesome, otherwise what are my options?

Thanks again for the welcome! I've been dreaming for years about fixing up an old Yamaha, and I am stoked to have it in hand and begin the work!

In the right side of the bike, there is the helmet lock/seat latch, see if the seat latches there. To operate, unlock latch, then rotate it towards the back. The back of the seat should lift up, and the you pull the seat towards the rear. My inkling is that the owner who put the sissy bar on the bike had the seat reupholstered to appease his or her significant other, in which case the pan is fine, and seat has been altered for comfort. However, the shape of the bottom of the seat does not look correct, so it certainly could be from a different bike.

I've always been a fan of stock seat pans for the simplicity and work it saves you on constructing what usually ends up being a not so pretty not so comfortable seat. There are exceptions, but many of the hand crafted seats I see on here help achieve a minimal look, and that's about it.

You have a lucky find with a Mac 2 n1 already on the bike,those cost close $300 brand new.If the bike isn't running your probably right the carbs will need a good soak and cleaning.Tires can be found cheap especialy if you want street cruisers on it.Why the owner used the back rest that looks in such terrible condition when he could have found the proper one with a luggage rack on ebay.I`d like to have a luggage rack for mine but not a back rest as I don't ever plan riding double.Good luck with your new project,it shouldn't take a lot of work to get her road ready. As for the rust a good wire wheel on a drill or buffer should clean it up.

Before you go wire wheel, I'd suggest 000 steel wool. Less likely to scratch the chrome. If that's not tough enough, go up to 00 or 0 until you find what works for you. Chrome protectant found at the auto store is not a bad idea, as the chrome on these bikes isn't too robust (perhaps it's better in your neck of the woods, I'm in the foggiest city right between the ocean and the bay : our air is mostly salt ;)

I also wouldn't use a wire wheel on chrome; it will scratch. Rust removal on chrome should be done by hand. Aluminum foil and oil or 0000 steel wool and oil works great. If those won't take it off the finish is too far gone and removing the rust will just reveal pitting.

I've heard that it's wise to stay with the stock 3.00x18/3.50x18 setup, though I see that some guys are using metric tires. Any input here is appreciated. Also considering a tracker style build, so maybe I should consider more dual sport
Oh yeah, stick with the recommended size. Don't get stuck on finding the old inch marked tires. They are out there, but the choices are limited. Do the conversion to metric and you will find many more tire options.

The bike will perform and handle it's best with stock size wheels on it. If you are going for looks or making a "show" bike then you can go with fat oversize wheels.:wink2:

Oh yeah, stick with the recommended size. Don't get stuck on finding the old inch marked tires. They are out there, but the choices are limited. Do the conversion to metric and you will find many more tire options.

I've done the metric conversion, but I know they have different section width vs sidewall height compared to the old inch marked tires. I would guess that a 90/90-18 up front and a 100/90-18 in the rear is about right, but I've seen in some threads that guys talk about 110/90-18 in the rear. I am mostly concerned with handling, and not trying to impress people with a fat tire. I already have a 190 on the R1 if I need a fat tire.

Back