New engine, pull the throttle and it slowly dies

mpark620

mpark620
Reaction score
Hey guys, just recently bought a new engine after my old one seized. Electrical works fine and for first time ever my electric tic starter works too. Had to jump my bike since my battery wasn't doing and was pretty much low, and after about an hour of trying to kick start and electric starting it it finally started up.

However after I give it some gas it doesn't get any louder and it just slowly dies. So you guys think this is maybe a carb issue?

I run two pod filters on my carbs and I've looked at past threats at what my jet settings need to be, but I'm getting a lot of mixed answers. So what could be causing my engine to just die out after I give it more throttle is there just not enough air getting into the carb?

And what would the proper settings need to be on a carb that runs 2 pod filters?

This engine also hasn't been run in a while which could be another issue, but I threw some new oil in it along with plenty of fuel. Anything would help!

Pull the carbs and clean them. Then clean them again. And once more for good luck. Trust me, or search the numerous threads here and find out I'm not exaggerating.

For jetting, the best that can be offered is a starting point. Every bike is different, so what works for me probably won't work for you. Is your bike SOHC or DOHC? Any other mods other than the pod filters? Stock exhaust? Replacement mufflers? Every little detail is important...

Thanks for the reply gtidave!

I currently use two shorty mufflers on the stock exhaust on the engine and I think I'll go ahead and do another clean in the carbs. Hopefully this would work. But any idea on the jet settings if I run shorty mufflers and pod filters? It's also a sohc model if that helps. Yea I've read around that cleaning the carb would help, so I'll her another go.

if you are running shorties and pod filters, you'll have to rejet. Do some research here on the forum if you want some pointers ;)

cleaning the carbs at this point will definitely help, too. But sort out your jets while you're in there.

Back