new from minnesota

mnsubaru

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hello all! names don, and i just picked up my 83 xs400 early this summer. at this momment it is sitting in pieces. i enjoyed it all summer tho! so far its been a great first bike. this winter it will get a brate/bobber look. with the mono shock it should look pretty good. my one question is if im going with a pod setup and custom exhaust, do i need to rejet my carbs?? i did some digging on here and cant find much. some people say there is a screw that can adjust the a/f??

anyways, on to the pics!

33wa2dt.jpg

25t88yp.jpg

how it sits at the moment

w2lrt1.jpg

basic idea on how it will look. we will be building a custom hoop for the seat. making that cb350 tank fit. along with cb750 forks and cb spoked rims :)

From what I have read it seems like whatever mods you do to your intake or exhaust requires re-jetting if its a substantial change of flow. I can say that when I bought my bike (1980 xs400 special 2) it had no air filters at all and straight pipes. Since then I have put an entire stock intake setup on the bike and it does perform a little better but I dont notice too much of a difference. You may be able to get away with just adjusting the a/f screw. BTW, as verification, I checked my spark plugs before and after and theyre the perfect tan color.

welcome mnsubaru, looks like you have a direction and that it's looking great :thumbsup:

keep us informed on what you are doing and don't forget the pictures. Your gonna get loads about fitting the Honda tank so I'd take more of those

the tank is a pain in the ass to get it to fit. we had to chop the oe mounts of the frame, and do alot of work to the tank.

just picked up my cb750 forks and spoked rims yesterday! and tomorrow we start welding. so many more pics to come!

hello all! names don, and i just picked up my 83 xs400 early this summer. at this momment it is sitting in pieces. i enjoyed it all summer tho! so far its been a great first bike. this winter it will get a brate/bobber look.
Welcome to the Forum Don.
What a NICE looking bike - perfect colour too! :wink2:
Are you sure you want to change such a magnificent vintage bike in the middle of summer?

in duluth there is only about a month or so of nice weather left lol. plus the nice weather keeps me motivated to work on it!

oh, someone as far north as i am! welcome

there are quite a few 'sotans on this site... it's like we've started a colony here "in dah nort-lands der dontcha knoah". :laughing:

anyway.. if you want a fun hangout on every third Thursday in the metro so see some cool bikes... pm me... not sure the rules of posting shop names on the site. :)

mnsubaru - welcome! i picked mine up a few weeks ago and I also am planning to mod in the winter and have a build summing up as the ice thaws this next spring.. :thumbsup:

keep in touch

there are quite a few 'sotans on this site... it's like we've started a colony here "in dah nort-lands der dontcha knoah". :laughing:

anyway.. if you want a fun hangout on every third Thursday in the metro so see some cool bikes... pm me... not sure the rules of posting shop names on the site. :)

mnsubaru - welcome! i picked mine up a few weeks ago and I also am planning to mod in the winter and have a build summing up as the ice thaws this next spring.. :thumbsup:

keep in touch

im like 4.5 hours away from Minneapolis :laugh:

and like, 2.5 hours west of duluth

well, last night we got the seat pretty much made. did a little bit of welding, got the braces made aswell. will have more pics sometime this weekend. also should hopefully have the fab work done this weekend!

well the batterys died in the camera, but last night got the tank worked on. to make a cb360 tank fit. we had to cut it in half, and weld in a 2inch strip down the middle.

other than that we got the gaurge all organized. we are in the process of creating a website and such for the garage/projects that come out of it. I.E the xs400, cb750 and cb350 cafe's, and old VWs

Back