New guy from Slovakia

Lego

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys!

My name is Robert, and I am from Slovakia.

I know this page since I started drooling about custom motorcycles, just because I like the design of old XS400 and for sure also xs650. After some years I finally decided to buy one to my garage, so from now I can say that I am a proud owner of 1979 XS400.

I am 27, sales engineer from Slovakia. Not much people in our country customizing or repairing motorcycles, so hopefully i will find all anwers on this forum.

The bike is at its original state, bought from german owner, who did not use it for more than 10 years, so you can imagine how much work is waiting for me, but that is why I bought it, isnt it..

I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way. And I'll share the work that i will do, along with pictures.

Thanks!
Rob

Thanks for greetings to all! also nice to see somebody from around, LuckyEight! zdravim ta!

Adding some photos of the bike, just as it is from the seller, lots of work ahead of me..

20141129_181722.jpg

20141129_181737.jpg

Looks like a nice clean bike.

Looks too nice to customize...

Yeah , overall in good shape visually, she starts, but thats about it, revs go up and down like crazy, if I touch throttle or kill the choke the engine dies. Carbs need rebuild. Also brakes are stuck, and some other issues. 10 years in shed left consequences :)

i will rebuild whats necessary and leave it in original design as a first step. Cutting and customizing will be next.

Gorgeous bike! I'm quite jealous that you've found one in such good, original condition. Even here in North America they don't come up all that often anymore.

I hope you might reconsider making any permanent changes. A bike in that condition is getting to be quite a rare thing.
I know your options might be more limited in Slovakia but there must be many bikes in non-stock condition that would be better candidates for customization.

So I have a first question to you guys.. my model has a rear disc brake (2a2 model) and manuals which can be downloaded on this site are with rear drum brake. Because I am a begginer I like to follow manuals when rebuilding stuff so can somebody help me to find some pages with dissasembly and reassembly of rear disc brake and rear master cylinder repair ? thanks a lot

It's basically the same as the front brake....Are you sure there is nothing about the rear disc brake in the manual? Check page 100 and 101.

Today I removed both front and rear brake system, in order to start cleaning calipers, because brakes were stuck. After removal and dissasembly I discovered several things:

1. both brake calipers are in quite good shape, they need a good clean, pistons are rusty only on the inner side, which its not a big problem i guess. So after good clean up and ordering rebuild kit, they can be assembled back together.

20141226_183745.jpg

2. Front master is in bad shape, and also lever and housing is rusty and scratched, also the reservoir does not look very good.. BUT they work, I used the front master to pump out both pistons from front and rear caliper. I checked master rebuild kit, and also chinese masters, the price is moreless the same, so I am considering buying new chinese master with lever and all.. something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291202462432?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Your opinion? are these chinese masters any good?

3. Rear master is dead. After searching in forum I understand that rebuild kit for rear master is obsolete and cannot be found anywhere, so I did not bother dissasembling it. Lot of disgusting gunk under the rubber cover.

20141226_202151.jpg

I dont believe that I will find XS400 rear master, i checked ebay and found nothing. There are some crazy cheap chinese masters but I dont know, can it be real? master for 15 Euro or so ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brake-Master-Cylinder-External-Reservoir-Motorcycle-Pit-Monkey-Quad-Bike-/111486434229?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19f51bfbb5
So what are your suggestions, which rear master to use?

Last edited:
they don't always need seals, it may be worth just a strip down and clean/rebuild.

peeps have replaced with a different rear master cyl

As long as the pistons aren't pitted they ought to be fine, but even a little pitting will cause leaks. Just for future users' reference, does anyone know the size of the stock master cylinder (I have rear drums, it's a moot point for me)?

Back