New kill switch and start - now bike won't start

leblank

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum, although i've been reading and researching this site every night all summer:bike:. An amazing motorbike community! I live on Vancouver Island in Canada, and I picked up a 1981 xs400 Special about 2 months ago. I have slowly been working on a tracker/cafe type rebuild, although it does not look like much yet! It is my first bike and first project and I have been immediately hooked on it.

I have run into my first big road block...but first a little more about the bike. It has been running consistently since I've owned it, although it has its share of issues...it has always been able to start. I recently changed the turn signal/horn control to a universal switch as the old one was broken. I also replaced the right switch to match, and then came my problem.

Everything on the left hand switch works fine (turn/horn/lights). I was having issues with the kill switch, and so decided to bypass it by connecting the pair of red and white wires together. I wired up the new start button no problem, but now when i try to start it, the starter just keeps trying but it won't start.

I have read through tons of posts but can't seem to find anything directly related. I do have the electric diagram, but everything seems fine :shrug:....although obviously it isn't.

It's now been not running for 2 weeks and i'm going crazy not being able to ride for these last few weeks of the season. My instinct is i screwed up something with the kill switch, as it sounds so close to firing but won't. Just checked for spark and i don't have any.

To recap, electric starter seems fine, but no spark and won't start. I didn't mess with any of the actual ignition components, and it all worked fine up until i changed the kill/start switch. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I am not sure how to correctly diagnose

I don't have an answer for your problems but it's great to see another Victorian on here!

My 360 isn't running yet but I've been tinkering at it whenever I can. Also itching to get some road time in before it gets any colder and wetter.

Can I ask how you found your bike? I've been keeping a close eye on usedvictoria, Craigslist, etc, hoping to find another XS.

Your R/W wire from your new start switch to the starter should be good if the starter motor is turning, but both coils, your safety relay, and your TCI need to be connected after that switch too.

If everything is connected as per the diagram, double check continuity across all connections and double-check your resistance on your ignition coils.
Ignition coils can burn out if wired incorrectly.

I actually found my bike on used vic for $500, but haven't seen anything else since (I've been looking for parts, prices, etc.). I just picked up a multimeter this morning, so far i have continuity through all the starter wires, so i'm gonna get some time this evening to check all the ignition components. Thanks for the reply, i'll get back with an update

I don't know if you've solved your issue yet or not, but I had a similar problem where I took the switch housing apart to clean and repair it and after putting it back together I had no spark and starter button did nothing.

I thought I had a start button issue when actually it was the neutral switch. I had the bike in neutral (at least I thought) because the sprocket spun freely - and the neutral indicator lamp was lit. After banging my head around awhile I decided it had to be something with the neutral switch. So, I messed around with the front sprocket (no chain on) while trying to get it into first gear. It took a bit of fiddling but once I got it into first gear, I knew where I was. Then I switched it back into neutral and viola, my start button worked and I had spark.

This may not be your problem, but it might be helpful to someone else later.

May not help, but it has been raining hard for the past two or more weeks. There have been a couple of riding days, but you take your chances.
I am watching carefully. Will be riding down to Vic as soon as I get a decent day.
Gabriola to Nanaimo to Vic.

unkle Crusty

Back