New member interested in bratstyle

Unknownz24

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking the forum for a week or so trying to learn as much as I can and have picked up a lot of great information! There is a lot of knowledge on these boards and you have a great community, hopefully I can be a great addition to it!

A little background; I have a 1981 xs400 special II. It's my first bike and I've had it for 4 years but stored it for the past 2 years. I just finished tuning it up over the Easter weekend and realize how much I missed riding it. Anyway, I'm really interested in giving it a bit of a makeover, bratstyle is what I have in mind.

I have a couple questions, but I'll ask them later in a seperate thread, this is just my hello!

Anyway, here's a picture of my bike, and pictures of my inspiration.

Attachments

• My xs400.jpg
    My xs400.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 312
  • red xs400.jpg
    red xs400.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 355
  • red xs400 2.jpg
    red xs400 2.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 317
exactly what i started off with, except for the fact that i'd kill to have had those spokewheels instead of my mags! :) good luck with the build

Hi! I also am new to this forum,but have many years of cycling fun and disasters.I have an xs400rj seca,a little different than the SOHC models. I like the mag wheels and I remember when they came out that they were very popular,in that they were different. In my opinion,the spoke wheels,while they look good,they are a pain when they corrode. lha

Yeah, the bike is in pretty great shape and relatively low mileage. Runs fine, but has that common idle issue that I've read about here on the boards. I'm ordering a colortune so I can set the mixture a bit better.
Speaking of ordering things, I was looking at mikes xs.com and was wondering about some of the suspension components and what can be interchanged with the xs400. Does anyone know if the tapered roller bearings from the 650 fits the 400? Or how about the brass bushings for the swingarm? If anyone has any experience with these items, i'd appreciate any advise thanks!

I'm not sure about the swingarm bushings, but I'm pretty sure that the 650 and 400 swingarm interchange with no modifications. Someone on here (can't remember who for the life of me) runs a 650 swingarm.

As for the tapered steering bearings, you can get a set made for the 400 on Ebay, but Drewpy informed me awhile back that they do sit a little tall. I hadn't got the chance to try them out yet though.

you need 400 taper set, and they do sit alarmingly high and have trouble initially getting the triple tree nut on, but when you take up the slack you just get all the threads over.

I know that th xs can share stuff with the RD brigade, could try HVC cycle

isigt- Thanks for posting that link! Having those up close pictures is really helpful for figuring out how to execute that look! Thanks a million :thumbsup:

A minor update. Chopped the frame slightly. Re-located rear signals. New tail light and license holder. Painted various pieces, new handle bar. Plans are in the works to go for a solo seat but with the ability to go tandum as well. I'll post progress pics of that as it comes together.

Edit: Also installed shorter rear short and lowered front forks 1"

Attachments

• 10MAY2011-1.jpg
    10MAY2011-1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 10MAY2011-4.jpg
    10MAY2011-4.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 10MAY2011-6.jpg
    10MAY2011-6.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 10MAY2011-7.jpg
    10MAY2011-7.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 259
Updates!

Attachments

• xs400 build3.jpg
    xs400 build3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 264
  • xs400 build4.jpg
    xs400 build4.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 251
  • xs400 build5.jpg
    xs400 build5.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 270
  • xs400 build6.jpg
    xs400 build6.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 278
Thanks! I'm definately liking how it's started to take shape.

The brackets are just made of 1/8" steel plate that I hammered to 90 degrees. They are attached to the shock mount. It's a temporary thing until my new signals arrive in the mail.

I'll take a close up picture for you later today and post it.

Back