NEWB HELP! Don't Know where to start. Spark plugs are not sparking starter not workin

Yea Plugs are new. So I will test the coils. It should say the voltage its suppose to read in one of the service manuals?

You test for ohms. It's all in the manual. Or try a search of the forum for coil testing I know there is some:)

Yea, I found it on another post what the OHMS are suppose to read. I should be able to try it tonight. Now you don't have to have it connected to the battery to check the OHMS? Or do you? I was just testing voltages before when I tried to test them and now I know that was not the right way after reading another post. Thanks for all the help! Also I think I bought these carbs from you Xschris in like 2012. I may be able to use them one day soon :)!!!

I have sold a lot of carbs on here over the years:laugh: Coils get tested off the bike with no spark plug cap on the wires. For your coils you should get 3 for the primary and 8.6k for the secondary +/- 20% at 68*f

Attachments

• DSC02596.jpg
    DSC02596.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Ok. So I tested it. The on the left side of the bike the Coil is reading at 8.2 ohms and 18.7 ohms if i plug it into the spark plug cable. The right side coil is 8.4 Ohms and 0 ohms through the cable. So what does this mean I need to do next? Are they bad do I need to replace both coils? Is the second cable bad since I get 0 ohms? Would me getting 8.4 on the Primary coil cause it not to get a spark?

Thanks, you guys have been alot of help.

coil 1 4.3 ohms secondary Nothing
coil 2 4.3 ohms secondary 18.7 ohms

So yea. Are both coils bad? I just realized the cable that sits on the spark plug from coil 2 is broken. Do I try new Wires? Or do I replace it all?

Wires may help but with all your numbers way off you should replace them.

Ok. Glad I have narrowed it down. Most likely it sitting outside without the gas tank on for 2 years sometimes covered sometimes not must of ruined the coils & wires. Should I purchase new or used ones? I see a bunch of used on Ebay just don't think it's worth it paying the same price new for a used OEM off ebay that might work.

This is the Coil off of Mikexs..
https://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6805.html

Could I buy the spark plug cap/spark plug wire at a local napa? Or should I order those as well from Mikes?

You need a 3ohm coil. I would go with a non-resistor cap and iridium (resistor) plugs. You can find 7mm copper core wire at most auto parts stores.

Thanks a lot guys especially xschris!! got it running! New Ignition coils and wires and caps. It sounds good but I think it is running rich? Or Its running to high? I am not sure but its running!! So I am jazzed. I havn't adjusted the carb yet (Not sure if xschris did before shipping it out as that was like 2 years ago) or anything else. Now I need to figure out what to do next. I need air filters & new boots thats for sure. And the TITLE lol. :p

Back