No headlight and possible ground issue HElP

1wyatt2

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I just bought this 80 xs 400, i hook the bike up to a jumper box, lights all come on except for the headligt, when I used a light tester, I connected the alligator clip to the positive and i check the headlight connectors both getting power, when I have the low beem switched to low and touch the ground or bottom connector the light cluster lights up and when i switch it to high beem the headlight works. If I shut the bike off, the headlights wont work unless I touch the bottom connector with the light tester. It seems there is a clicking noise when it comes on too. Also I think im having a ground issue because I can touch anywhere on the bike and get the tester light to come on. Do you have an idea where I should start? THanks

and a hello to you too!

headlamp works when the engine is running, the click is the relay operating to switch on the headlamp.

please search this forum as its been mentioned before

Yeah I started, the bike for the first time today, headlight works. Sorry for the dumb question.

Ain't no such thing as a dumb question

I agree, im actually pretty glad you asked because its solved another little thing for me too cause i thought my headlight didnt work as well. I didnt know it had to be running either :) I havent owned any pre 80's bikes before. No actually i had a rx125 that was a great little bike but i dont remember the deal with the headlight. Anyway thanks for asking and thanks drewpy for answering another question, you have already helped me quite a lot just from reading through your posts:thumbsup:

One more thing i learnt from reading through threads is dont start your bike in gear holding the clutch in after putting apehangers on which jammed the trottle open then release the clutch an send it into a wall:yikes: But if you DO do that then dont live in a solid brick house, better be made of fibreboard to absorb some of the impact:banghead:

Back