not an easy frame to chop

thom

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda stuck with using what I have. I don't want the hassle of searching for another bike to start with. It took me quite a awhile to find the xs400 I have.However , after some looking at my frame and pictures of others, like xs650s , I realize that xs400 frames are more difficult than most to chop because of the goofy triple top tube. Like I said , I'll use what I got , but I would probably continue looking if I knew then what I know now.:doh:

Don't feel that you are stuck , look at it as the opportunity to let your imagination run wild. Everyone likes the xs650 because of the ease of chopping. BTW they all look similar. Strip off your tank, seat and lights or whatever else blocks your view and take pics. From there your creativity will begin to flow. The triple tube back bone? Chop it, gusset and move out. Good luck and post pics.

hey i felt the same way about mine i found an ol school alien tank it sits on top of the other two support rails and IMO looks good and thats all that matters seems its my bike and i'm the one building it lol

Thanks guys. I'd like to see a pic of that tank fxrjockey.I took some pics of the top tube , or tubes, of my frame this evening so I could spend some time planning what to do.
001-7.jpg

002-5.jpg

003-6.jpg

Right now I'm thinking about hooking onto the center tube , which measures 1.25 inches od. I might fit some 1.25 (id of course) over it and extend it down between the carbs to tie in with the lower part of the frame . I would connect it in the area of the present swingarm mount. Although the swingarm will be gone after the rest of the frame modifications are done.All the modifications I do will be done one at a time as I do not have access to a frame jig.Thanks again.:)

i was in a similar state of mine when i looked at my backbone. i posted a similar question. heres the thread and the answers a got. should help. start that build thread son! and try to keep your hardtail questions on one thread, otherwise you need to looks at all the different ones to find an answer. lol

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4483

thom here is the pic of my tank you asked for it still needs some adjusting but you get it for the most part. its still a work in progress but its mine and i like the way its coming out so just an idea for you good luck man

Attachments

• new tank.jpg
    new tank.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 224
Back