Not starting

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everybody. Tried to start it Fri and Sat. Checked th plugs and the rt had gas on it. Could I have just flooded. The electrical sysem seems ok. Had it empty all winter. All fuel was drained out. Anyone have any ideas? Also of course has gas in it now. Supposed to get below freezing 3 or 4 nites this week. In the garage. Do you think its ok? Tx alot hve a great day. Oh, 1980 xs 400 special.

First off - had you drained the fuel bowls? I Know you said you drained all the gas - but if you didn't let them drain (AND evaporate), it is possible that they got all cruddy.

Did you run the petcock on "PRI" for a while before you started trying to start it? If not, that can cause you to inadvertently flood the plugs (because you'll be starting, grabbing throttle for a long while before the bowls fill, and they won't fill at the same rate since the #1 carb is closer to the fuel source).

Another thing I might suggest is that you use the kick-start. I've learned on a few of these bikes that they don't have the best electric start (especially when cold).

Come to the bike after it has rested for hours. Turn petcock to PRI for a few minutes (just incase the bowls aren't completely topped up). Then turn it back to "on". Now pull the choke to the half choke position. Put your hand on the throttle but DO NOT apply any, just have it ready incase the bike fires up. Give the bike a nice solid kick. If nothing, try one or two more kicks, still WITHOUT throttle.

If you don't hear as much as a pop or two, then switch the choke to full choke. Now give it a few solid kicks. If you aren't getting popping at this point, then perhaps your carbs will need to be cleaned.

If you got fresh gas with temps getting down below freezing for a few nights or so isnt going to hurt anything.If its for a prolong period like a month stabil added to the gas will keep things ok.With no sign of spring around here Im not even going tobother fueling up.

First off - had you drained the fuel bowls? I Know you said you drained all the gas - but if you didn't let them drain (AND evaporate), it is possible that they got all cruddy.

Did you run the petcock on "PRI" for a while before you started trying to start it? If not, that can cause you to inadvertently flood the plugs (because you'll be starting, grabbing throttle for a long while before the bowls fill, and they won't fill at the same rate since the #1 carb is closer to the fuel source).

Another thing I might suggest is that you use the kick-start. I've learned on a few of these bikes that they don't have the best electric start (especially when cold).

Come to the bike after it has rested for hours. Turn petcock to PRI for a few minutes (just incase the bowls aren't completely topped up). Then turn it back to "on". Now pull the choke to the half choke position. Put your hand on the throttle but DO NOT apply any, just have it ready incase the bike fires up. Give the bike a nice solid kick. If nothing, try one or two more kicks, still WITHOUT throttle.

If you don't hear as much as a pop or two, then switch the choke to full choke. Now give it a few solid kicks. If you aren't getting popping at this point, then perhaps your carbs will need to be cleaned.

Yes I drained the bowls completely. Tx for the response

Check those relays on the bottom of your frame underneith the battery box.They are safety switches and if they are bad they will keep your bike from starting.

Back