okay rpm range on long rides?

buschkj24

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, I was wondering if running a 400 at 7k rpm on a long (like 100 miles) straight is going to hurt the motor. I have replaced the oil with a good brand from my local motorcycle shop with filter, valves are within spec, and the engine runs like a top. My bike is a 82 maxim 400 DOHC with 7100 miles if that makes a difference at all. I just don't want to cook the motor if I go on long rides.

You can lower the rpm's by putting a smaller sprocket on the rear wheel or by going up one tooth on the front one. That will give you better cruising rpm's but less low end power. What speeds are you doing at 7k rpm's? These bike where built for higher rpm's. I think the dohc ones red line at 10k so you are still ok at 7k.

I would running close to 70-75mph on the interstate. I have gone roughly 40 miles ranging from 60-75 and it handled it just fine but I was not sure. Most of my riding would be at highway speeds so perhaps I should look at another sprocket. If I want to cruise at 60 with rpms around the 5k range what sprocket would you suggest, or would 5k not have enough power at that speed? I only weigh 145 but when my wife and I are on the bike we bring in about 280 pounds...maybe its best to leave it stock?

Going up one on the front or down two on the back should drop it about 500 rpm's. I would not do much more than that because you will loose a lot of you pulling power. Because you do ride with another person you may want to just leave it stock.

Not many sprocket options to choose from: 15, 16, 17 tooth front sprockets. 35 or 38 rear.
17 x 35 (2.06:1 ratio) will be ok on the highway with about a 500 RPM decrease, but will be sluggish around town unless you ride like a hooligan.
16 x 35 (2.19:1 ratio) is stock for the Maxim.
15 x 35 (2.33:1 ratio) is close enough to 17 x 38 to be the same, will be lighter weight but harder on the chain.
17 x 38 (2.34:1 ratio) is what I'm currently running and it really wakes the bike up, but you will have to appreciate the little engine revving.
16 x 38 (2.38:1 ratio) is what I'd run if I were always carrying a pillion or lots of gear in bags and running around the city.
15 x 38 (2.53:1 ratio) would make for a wild street hooligan ride or off road machine.

I also have the Maxim and am very pleased with the having swapped the 16T front for a 17T. Once moving, I notice virtually no difference in the way the bike performs. I shift at the same rpm points, it's just that now, at those points, the speed is slightly higher.
I can notice a difference if I'm sloppy starting off from a dead stop on an up-hill. I need to be a little more careful not to let the clutch out too quickly.
But it is well worth it to lose the 400-500 rpms at various highway speeds.
I weigh 155 and have had my son on with me (145).
Going up the escarpment on a very steep hill out of town, my son on the back, I had to be in third instead of 4th to accelerate from 35 mph.
Other than that, no problem on the highway.

Posts #68 and #75 on here describe the test I ran with both the 16T and 17T front sprocket:

I would assume, key word Assume, that a lot of durability testing went into this and other bikes engines, I would think it would be fine, for me though it does feel unnatural clipping along at that rpm range, then again by car is an old Buick that runs 75mph with very low revs, so I'm just not used to it.

Gosh I would be weary of doing a lot of interstate riding on one of these bikes but I live in truckers alley so when I get passed I get blown over a lot.I only ride on the interstate for about a 10 mile stretch doing 65mph before turning off an a two lane back road and its not uncommon to be driving or riding 85-90 just to keep up with traffic.

Back