Opinions please...

hardtailed77

Never Finished
Reaction score
I would like to run a wide white wall tire on the rear of my bike, but I'm having some issues here. Currently I'm running a 130/90-18 (XS650 rear rim), and I can't find any wide whites in that size. I searched a 120/90-18 and could only locate a "front" tire. Do you guys (and gals) think that using a "front" tire on the rear would be alright, or would it cause problems?

I think the size is all that matters(thats what she told me at least!!)...as long as you find a tread pattern that suits you...I dont see why it wouldn't be ok?!

I did a little research and most people say against it. The reasons they give...

- Tread depth between "devoted" front and rear tires are different.
- The load (weight distribution) is different from front to back.
- The "curvature" of the sidewalls are different.

I have seen many people run a wide rear tire on the front of their build, but never the opposite. I figure the worst thing could happen it the tire wear out really fast. I don't plan on driving like a bat out of hell, mainly just "bar-hopping" really (taking it easy on the drinks obviously), so the sidewall differences should have minimal effect on handling around town.

I'm still open to other opinions though...

did this apply to hardtails or sportbikes etc,..?
I'm no authority....maybe try a different rim size...see what selection is available?
I have a spoked drum rear off my 81 I'm not using..think its a 16?

the main differance is the tread pattern. i think your biggest issue is going to be the handling, if you are not planning on ridding the bike over 50mph it really makes no differance.

when i had my tires mounted by a local shop they told me that bike tires are designed with directional torsional rigidity or something like that. built into the sidewall design, somehow this controls the sidewall flex during braking and exceleration . i have noticed some if not all bike tires have a directional arrow on the sidewall designating the direction of rotation. having this all explained to me they then said we will just mount the front tire you brought in ,on your rear wheel backwards and it will be fine!!!!

Hey guys, not to hi-jack a thread but I didn't want to waste space starting a new one....I've browsed a few threads and I think I've found my answer but, not 100% sure. Will a 120/90/18 fit between the front forks???? Goin' for the "wide front and rear" look. I'm not running a front fender..just wanna make sure the tire will fit before I order it!!

having this all explained to me they then said we will just mount the front tire you brought in ,on your rear wheel backwards and it will be fine!!!!

this sounds like a horrible idea to me for some reason. Given that we occasionally mounted tires backwards on drift cars because some brands were known to delaminate unless you did so. But thats for a few laps around the course, not roadtrips. If the tire guys are talking about sidewall flex and directional rotation, i just imagine the metal meshing in the sidewall doing funky things being forced to spin backwards. Kinda like a transimission, the teeth were cut to spin mainly one way only.

$.02

how about just buy a set of black ones you like and grab some whitewall piant. it looks really good and you can make it as wide or narrow as you want

Hardtailed77: don't know if you have resolved your issue yet, but for you or anyone else who is still wondering, Shinko makes a 130/90/18 rear wheel white wall for around $80. I am actually about to purchase one for my 1980 special ll project that I'm just starting. they also make a 100/90/19 for those who have 19" cast wheels. I have 18" spoke wheels so i opted to go blackwall in front and whitewall in rear. Sorry if somewhere along this thread someone already provided this info, i just didnt read the entire thread. this is my first ever post on any forum, as this is also my first bike so Im pretty excited.

Last edited:
my appologies. I jumped the gun on that one. I actually meant 130/90/16 by Shinko, as that is what i am buying for my rear. they do make a 130/90/19 front though. Sorry if i got your hopes up. First post jitters haha, wont happen again.

my appologies. I jumped the gun on that one. I actually meant 130/90/16 by Shinko, as that is what i am buying for my rear. they do make a 130/90/19 front though. Sorry if i got your hopes up. First post jitters haha, wont happen again.

no probs, welcome to the site :thumbsup:

Rear tires are designed with acceleration forces in mind.
Front tires are designed for braking forces. The directional arrows are for telling you this. Putting a tire on backwards may work ok but you are going against the design of the tire.
If you do this then don't blame the tire when it fails.
Leo

Last edited:
On the Dunlop 3.0x18 that I have on the front wheel there is an arrow pointing in the opposite direction & says rotational direction if mounted on rear.

Posted via Mobile

Yes, some tires are designed to be run either way. This takes special design features. The way the overlap of the belts and treads are applied are done differently are one of them. Often costing more than a regular tire.
I have some old Bridgestones that can be run both ways, Dunlop builds the K70 or the K81 not sure which that can be run both ways.
Most tires are not built that way. Just swapping them around is not reccomended. I might on a bike that is just going to set in a museum, but not to ride. Thats my $.02 anyway, but please don't believe me, ask the people that make tires. I did. I don't understand all the technical stuff but I believe they know more than I do.
Leo

Back