Plugs Fouling With Carbon

63-Coupe

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Bike is an 82 Xs400SJ Heritage Special

Both plugs are fouling considerably with carbon after only a couple of hundred miles. When this happens the bike does not want to idle, just drops down and dies at a stop, but pulls strong otherwise and doesn't have a miss. After a quick clean up everything is ok for another couple of hundred miles. I am assuming, knowing how that "Assuming" word can get us all in trouble, that both cylinders are running too rich.

I am looking for a tutorial for setting up and balancing the carbs. I thought there was something on this forum but haven't found it yet. I am looking for something preferably written in single syllable words for neophites. Don't get me wrong, I am comfortable workiing on carbs but I know that if I start messing with something of which I know nothing I will only make it worse. If this was an AFB or a Holley I would just grab my screwdrivers and go at it but I am getting into an unfamiliar world here.

Can someone point me towards a tutorial on setting up and balancing the carbs?

Thamks.

i'm getting this on one cylinder, exact same problem as you. it devours spark plugs. its also the same side of engine that bleeds oil. i'm guessing for my issue that it also has an internal leak and is burning mad oil. might be a possiblity for you?

Bike is an 82 Xs400SJ Heritage Special

Both plugs are fouling considerably with carbon after only a couple of hundred miles. When this happens the bike does not want to idle, just drops down and dies at a stop, but pulls strong otherwise and doesn't have a miss. After a quick clean up everything is ok for another couple of hundred miles. I am assuming, knowing how that "Assuming" word can get us all in trouble, that both cylinders are running too rich.

I am looking for a tutorial for setting up and balancing the carbs. I thought there was something on this forum but haven't found it yet. I am looking for something preferably written in single syllable words for neophites. Don't get me wrong, I am comfortable workiing on carbs but I know that if I start messing with something of which I know nothing I will only make it worse. If this was an AFB or a Holley I would just grab my screwdrivers and go at it but I am getting into an unfamiliar world here.

Can someone point me towards a tutorial on setting up and balancing the carbs?

Thamks.
You just have to understand that a carb is a carb,and a motor is a motor.I've worked on '20s Fords and Cadillac motors and after the initial shock of seeing that everything's different,I realized that it's all the same concept as a new motor.Since it's a 4 stroke,you can go pretty lean on jetting without doing much damage.Try checking the # on the jets and if not standard,replace with standard.Also check the compression.somehow your motor is getting too much fuel or a lot of oil pumped into the chamber. lha

Back