Possibilities?

dnseal

CapnGil
Reaction score
Hello all, although new to this site I'm not new to biking nor bike rebuilding. I recently bought two XS400's one 1977 (my son's) and another 1981 that I will ride. We plan on making some slight mods as the 1977 is too mint to alter and the 1981 is simply for riding. Anyhow, we have found this sight most useful and informative. The amount of data presented here is invaluable and appreciated. I can imagine what a gold find it must be for so many, especially to those whom venture into the resto/mod categories. I wish I such a resource when I did my V-Max. That said, and in seeing the educational learning curve in my son, I wondered if there was a way to assist other in managing this accumulation of data. I guess it's the engineer in me but maybe somebody could come up with an agreeable scoring system to categorize the three biggest question (skill level, tools required, and time required) I've seen so far posted on this site.

My thought is a simple one link site (forum site) where everyone could insert a score of 1 through 5 per task so that others (us) can get a quick understanding of the experience brought to this site and benefit from it. Believe me I not here to create work for anybody, but if somebody could create the interpretative link to a spread sheet, it may just be an on going and growing source of data many could reflect upon. Once created it should be easy to maintain and alter. The listing below is an example (sorry for the offset) of tasks that I took off the service manual. Of course this is just a beginning, I would think there should be a few sub categories such as the mods that people do like cafe build seats, lowering forks, performance, etc.

Not sure if there is some sort of committee here but somebody (brave and helpful sole that he may be.... smile) would obviously need to take this bull by the horns and manage the input of the categories; maybe a suggestion box for other to request a new insert. Anyways, I trust my first posting doesn't black ball me from the site. Once again, kudos to all for a great site and thanks for sharing of the exceptional information. Looking forward to posting some images and stories of our builds later.

Be Well
Gil

Skills Tools Hours
Checking Oil 1 1 1
Changing Oil 1 1 1
Replacing Oil Filter 1 1 1
Replacing Filter Screen 1 1 2
Drive Chain Adjustments 2 2 2
Clutch Adjustments 2 2 2
Brake Adjustments 1 2 2
Brake Replacement 2 2 2
Brake Light Switch Adjustment 1 1 1
Throttle Cable Adjustments 1 1 1
Petcock Service 2 1 2
Air Filter Replacement 1 1 1
Carb Adjustments 2 2 2
Carb Float Level 2 2 4
Carb Synchronization 2 4 1
Carb Rebuild 3 4 5
Compression Test 1 5 1
Cam Chain Adjustment 2 3 2
Valve Adjustment 3 3 2
Contact Breaker Adjustment 2 3 1
Ignition timing 2 3 1
Breaker Gaping 2 3 1
Dynamic Timing 3 5 2
Static Timing 2 3 1
Clutch Replacement 3 3 4
Starter replacement 2 2 2
Tire Replacement / Balancing 2 3 6
Shock Seal Replacement 3 3 6
Fork Bearing Replacement 2 4 3
Cylinder Head Removal 4 3 4
Engine Removal 3 3 5
Engine Overhaul 5 5 24

:yikes:

welcome to the site.

Interesting concept, but my interpretation of the scoring would skew what others experience.

some peeps would score a 3 just for adjusting carbs say as they had never done it before (that's excluding the jokers on the site)

whereas I have no issue rebuilding an engine as I have the tools and pre-knowledge to accomplish the task! (barring time and money of course)

what's 24 mean on engine overhaul?

Back