Project - Black and Gold

rafanomenon

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First time posting here, but I'm coming over from dotheton, and lurking on a few other forums for info, education, tips and tricks.

I've been tinkering around a bit with my other two builds, which I have come to accept will be the longest builds ever. Here's another one that I'm HOPING won't drag on as long as the others.

Been itching to build a chopper, so I bought a bike and got started.

1981 Yamaha XS400 Special. ~5,000 miles. Bone stock.

xs400_003.jpg

xs400_003.jpg

Started out as a simple bob, shortening up the rear, installing drag bars, cherry bomb mufflers and turnout tips and cutting some weight.

xs400_027.jpg

Winter came, and I got bored of the bob, so I moved on to starting the chop. Plenty of beer, a couple cutting discs and some welds later...

Stripped down:
xs400_044.jpg

Engine out:
xs400_045.jpg

Parts:
xs400_049.jpg

AAAHHH!!!
xs400_052.jpg

xs400_054.jpg

xs400_070.jpg

xs400_074.jpg

And this is where it's at right now:
xs400_093.jpg

Hoping to wrap this up in the next couple weeks. Let me know what you guys think!!

Oh yeah. Thank you Travis for the hardtail kit! For those wondering, I don't really know the specs on the stretch/lowering. I just kind of eye balled it and got it right where I wanted it. I plan on eventually chopping and slightly raking the neck, but might just cut the springs and lower the front.

Thanks for the feedback, gang! I'm not 100% sold on the tank.. I do like the lines, and how beefy it looks, but I'm leaning towards going for something a little skinnier on the sides. I sat on it today and it might need some knee dents.

A box of parts showed up on Saturday: Clutch lever, throttle pull, grips, and clip-ons. I put those on and snapped another pic:
xs400_mockup_01.jpg

All that's left to do is finish the wiring (I HATE this part), weld on some seat mounts, rear fender, bobbed front fender and a brake stay tab - and this one is hopefully on the road... I wanted to do a full tear down, powdercoat, paint, etc. but the weather has been real nice up here in Seattle so I might just wait until Fall for the complete overhaul.

That looks mighty fine! Very beefy but minimal at the same time. If you're looking to take some material off of the tank, a lot of people have used Sportster tanks to get the same effect. Personally I think an SR500 tank might look pretty decent as well.

Thanks guys!

I posted this in the 'Clutch' section, but maybe someone here can help me out...

So during the tear down process, I remove the left chain/clutch cover from the engine. A few days later I notice a ball bearing on the floor and think nothing of it, as there is always odds and ends that end up in the trash.

Today, I was in the process of routing the clutch cable, and noticed there is way too much play in the lever before the clutch is engaged. Checked the routing, cable lube and adjustment screw at the perch. All good. Then thought there was no way that the cable magically stretched from when I tore it down to when I put it back together.

After searching a few forums, I found out that on the XS650, there is a little 5/16" ball bearing that sits inside the worm gear:

WormGearCrimps.jpg

So I looked at a XS400 blowout, and noticed that our bikes also have the 5/16" ball bearing (#14), but the diagram shows it BEHIND the push rod, and not sitting in the worm gear.

xs400_Clutch_Diagram.png

I didn't take the push rod out when I tore the bike down, and now I'm thinking that ball bearing I tossed belonged inside the worm gear. Shit.

Can someone please confirm?!

mine sits behind the pushrod as per the diagram. Perhaps someone before you put it in the wormgear instead?? throw it in the case, slide the pushrod back in and call it done:thumbsup:

There should be one in the worm gear as well:)

Last edited:
gonna have to have a looksee then... I'm pretty sure mine is gone, as the sidecover has been kicked around a bit. I never paid attention to this as I thought the only ball was inside the case:banghead:

So to confirm, there is a 5/16" ball bearing behind the push rod, AND in the wormgear?! Do I have to watch out for anything when pulling the push rod out to check? Nothing is locked in place with it that will dislodge when I pull it out?

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks in advance for all the answers!

I'm a little sad to see the old one go :/ It looked like it was in great shape! but that chopper looks pretty badass!

So to confirm, there is a 5/16" ball bearing behind the push rod, AND in the wormgear?! Do I have to watch out for anything when pulling the push rod out to check? Nothing is locked in place with it that will dislodge when I pull it out?

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks in advance for all the answers!

ball bearing will stay there (it has always has done for me)

Got the thing back together this weekend - clutch works!

Turns out there are TWO ball bearings within the worm gear. There is one sitting well inside of it that doesn't look like it would slip out, and another one sitting on top of it about halfway into the hole. I sat it with some grease and carefully put the cover back on. Clutch is back and working.

Hope this makes it easier for the next guy who scratches his head on what the heck that little ball bearing goes to that's rolling around on the garage floor :wink2:

Thanks for the help everyone!

Looks excellent! I'm glad you were able to figure out the clutch deal.
I was looking at your seat set up way up near the top and was wondering if you had and clearance issues with the rear wheel when load is put on the seat springs.

Back