Pulling my hair out looking for diagram

swbill

Slacker Garage Shop
Reaction score
I have wired several 650's but this 400 is kicking my a$$. Spent 3 nights looking for a diagram for a 1980 xs400 with a 7 wire tci. Everytime i think i find one the colors dont match up. Please any help,I dont care if its a simplified or stock diagram just something that matches up. Ive been through every diagram on here and none match that i can see.

These are what you are looking for? First page in the wiring diagram thread:confused:

Attachments

• 1981 XS400 G_SG.PNG
    1981 XS400 G_SG.PNG
    68 KB · Views: 567
  • xs400.jpg
    xs400.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 309
That's the one I have been using but some of the colors don't match up to mine. Mainly the pick up wires and a couple others. I'll post more about it when I get home from work. Thanks

Hmmm interesting. Fired it up for the first time tonight and it started right up and sounded great. Turn it off and WTH it keeps running. When i turn the key off the idle goes up and after 10 seconds or so it will die out.
I have my key ignition set up to disconnect all power to the bike other than obviously the starter solenoid so why would it keep running? Time to back track my wiring.

Sounds familiar? Did you replace the handlebars? with out scratching off paint, to have a good ground for the start switch (on/off/on switch) to ground out at?

(1st thought, others are brewing)

The engine stop switch or kill switch doesn't ground out. It is just an on/off switch, power comes in, then goes out to the coils and TCI and starter relay. If you have power feeding the starter relay straight from the battery it is back feeding into the coil and TCI. This lets the bike keep running until it draws the battery down far enough the TCI stops working.
Leo

The engine stop switch or kill switch doesn't ground out. It is just an on/off switch, power comes in, then goes out to the coils and TCI and starter relay. If you have power feeding the starter relay straight from the battery it is back feeding into the coil and TCI. This lets the bike keep running until it draws the battery down far enough the TCI stops working.
Leo

I havent had a chance to look into it but yes Leo i do have power direct into the solenoid. How would that back feed the coil? The solenoid is just a switch momentarily powered by the start button. What am i missing here? appreciate the help.

With out looking at anything, to confirm, or otherwise,

Both the key switch or off/on/off switch completes the circuit when the key is in the on, or the on portion. ((Completes closed circuit)) When either of these are in the off position, the circuit is broken. ((Open circuit))

Soo, when the connection is going straight to the solenoid, with out a way to create a open circuit, the energy will have to expend itself down to the level where operation is no longer possible, (about 7 to 9 volts DC)

This next image, I modified, and (I feel I corrected) (Positive was marked B for black) in this version.

Okay, I looked. The kill switch stops the flow of power to the Ignition Coil. Thous preventing run away killed engine. (maybe)

Attachments

• Enhanced Starter system.jpg
    Enhanced Starter system.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 286
That diagram is a little confusing, It shows the start switch making a grounded circuit?
I have the blue from the solenoid going to ground and the rw coming from my momentary start button. I dont have any stock controls, Just a key that turns on all power and a push button that engages the starter. Im sure once i get time to look into it the problem will be obvious but until then i appreciate the help.

I guess the take away I was getting at,was the safety switch, the Red/white wire, has the engine stop/kill switch on that branch, which seems to be on my previous thought. (red wire to or from ignition coils) (double check that, its dinner time now)

Ok when you put the engine stop switch in run, it sends power to the coils and the starter relay through the safety relay. If this part of the wiring is intact and you jump straight from the battery to the red/white wire on the relay it will back feed to the coils.
I can't see just what you have for wiring. You need to look at what you have and trace just where power is going.
Do you have a diagram for your bike? If not find one. You can't do much with out one.
Leo

Had some time to look into it tonight and still stumped. This is exactly how i have done every xs650 and never had this problem.
I have no stock controls. I have direct power to the starter solenoid and from there to the starter, I have direct power to a key switch and from there to a fuse block. The fuse block then goes to a starter switch, lights, coils, tci and brake switch.
When the key is off there is no power going to anything in the system other than one side of the solenoid. If i pull the fuse feeding the coils then the engine will die but if i just turn off the key it keeps running. That makes no sence to me, Turning off the key is doing the same thing.
This bike has been sitting here so long i think its just eager to hit the road and thats why it wont shut off:bike::banghead:

If i pull the fuse feeding the coils then the engine will die but if i just turn off the key it keeps running. That makes no sense to me, Turning off the key is doing the same thing.
This bike has been sitting here so long i think its just eager to hit the road and that's why it wont shut off

So the blow up, the line I pointed to, seems to be the primary kill safety wire.The Red white line goes to both ignition coils. Safety relay, etc... That first seems to be the kill point.

Curiously enough, the fuse, is on that line, so that would kill power to the ignition coils. (i seem to think I have a theme going). Make sense to me, I dont know about the xs650, But I would attempt to put a circuit breaker (switch, etc) on the line going to the ignition coils, (not the orange lines)

The three postings, all help give meaning. It just takes time, to understand what the manual is telling us.

Attachments

• XS400SH Wirediagram.jpg
    XS400SH Wirediagram.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 348
  • Kill line.jpg
    Kill line.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 278
I could put a switch on the coil but that seems redundant. you would have to turn two keys off to kill the bike. Gotta be something obvious im missing in this wiring. My main keys kills all power, no power no run. Like leo orginally said i think its coming back through the solenoid but it dont make sence how to me yet.

Back