Rare oil leak.

MicroGarajeAntiguo

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Mine used to leak there a little. There is no gasket for the cover, just a grommet for the wires. I ended up using a generous helping of the black RTV to seal it.

Thanks for answering!

Anyway, is it normal having oil in the pickup coil governor? I thought it was a dry compartment so I don´t understand the origin of that fluid..

One more thing: the wires are protected with a cover of cloth so I find quite dificult to seal it with silicone as "the cloth" will continue transmitting the oil. Do you know what I mean?

Cheers. Regards.

Last edited:
There should be a ring-type seal that goes around that end of the camshaft and prevents oil from entering that compartment, but mine lets some oil through even after it is seated properly (as far as I can tell). :shrug: You can double check that yours is in good shape, but I don't see oil causing a problem in there. As for the cloth, I didn't have much trouble with it, though I probably used a ton of the black RTV on it.

..and do you know if it´s easy to access there? I like repairing things in the proper way so I guess the best option is to check that ring, the one situated in the distributor, however, I don´t really know how to access there, even checking manuals.

Taking into account your ring is in good condition, do you suspect of something else?

Cheers.

Last edited:
There is no other way for oil to reach that cover, everything around it is cast aluminum.

You can check on its condition by pulling off the timing cover and plate. Use an impact driver to get the screws off. There was a plug on my cover (right side of picture) that I should have threaded with a tap to pull out.
full

After you get that off, remove the timing mechanism. You should be able to see the seal at that point, but you won't be able to adjust it without removing the head of the engine.
full

Your '82 is going to be different from mine (DOHC vs. SOHC), but you can check out the pictures on my rebuild that I put on my profile here; they might be helpful.

As far as the seal goes, that link is pretty much what you're looking for. There is a reference schematic on bikebandit too, part number 25 here.

Unfortunately, you do need to take off the head to remove that seal, but you may be able to cheat a little bit. It is seated in place by a small metal ring that slides into a recess around the camshaft. Removing the head is not very difficult, just a bunch of 10mm bolts and whatever is in their way; I was even able to do it with the engine still in the frame, with some effort (the tach gear needs some love when putting it back together though).

In the end it didn't seem worth the effort to me either, since that seal did not come with my gasket kit and I was not in the mood to wait for a $15 piece of rubber to arrive.

On the SOHC 's I think you mean the cam cover needs removing, the head stays in place. The ignition trigger needs removing and the oil seal goes over the end of the cam.

The thing is I´m the owner of a DOHC one (1982) so I guess resolving the issue will be quite complicated.

Last edited:
Back