Rear Chain Adjusters

dodger0129

amatuer/enthusiast builde
Reaction score
Hi...
I'm having a bit of trouble trying to work out how to find/fit chain adjusters for my hardtail axle mounts:banghead:

The axle mounts are "open ended" and as such,means I cant use the original XS adjusters as there's nothing for them to pull against(see attached photo)

Is there anything out there for this type of fitting,or do I just bolt the spindle into the slots(as you would with a bicycle wheel) and use something along the lines of a small adjustable wheel mounted on the frame tube to adjust chain tension,or just move the axle back and forth in the slots?

Apologies if i'm being thick or missing something.....this is my first go at building a bike!!!

Any help is much appreciated :)

cheers,

Roger.

Attachments

• IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 116
I see you are going to have to fabricate one of two thoughts, a puller type like the XS, or a Pusher. my thought is drill a hole, or maybe weld a little bit onto the side with a threaded screw sleeve. Then tap/die the hole for a skinny bolt, or something. Good luck

Attachments

• Screwhole.JPG
    Screwhole.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 93
Hi Tobie...
Thanks for your thoughts and diagram!
Unfortunately,I cant use a "pusher" as there is a gusset welded in between the two frame tubes,so no joy there.
What I did come up with is this....let me know what you think!

First I made a cardboard template of the bracket I needed,then cut it out of 4mm steel plate with a grinder.Then I worked out where I needed my bends and scored and bent them by hand/eye in my bench vice.
Once they were right I clamped them in position and drilled through the gusset and secured them with a bolt and dome nut(as I don't have any welding skills!)
Then I ground them up flush and layed in a bit of filler to make them nice .
I'm quite pleased with the results,and I can now use my original XS pullers :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Roger

Attachments

• IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 87
I think that will be just Fine, (No formal experience) Thoughts are that you will make sure the wheel is true, (Spins right) verses following the markings, just incase the marks are off from each other. Now we just got to find a bolt, a Nut, and the Tap kit. but you knew that all ready. Keep up the good Work!

Back