Rear disc brake swing arm

My understanding is you can use your drum swingarm, you just need to weld a little tab on it for the caliper arm. I plan on doing the same thing so I'm interested what others have to say on this as well.

Last night I located a disc brake swing arm from a '78 that is in good condition so I will go that way. I'll let you know what the two look like side-by-side when I get it.

Last night I located a disc brake swing arm from a '78 that is in good condition so I will go that way. I'll let you know what the two look like side-by-side when I get it.

curious if you ever got the swingarm I'd like to see what the differences are and whether its easier to just weld the caliper tab on.

here's a shot of the two. The disc arm is 1" shorter than the drum version and has an adjustable tab for the caliper along with the brake stay arm. I have the complete set up if you're interested. Swinger, caliper, bracket, brake hose, reservoir, foot control and switch.
006-2.jpg

not sure, I don't think I used the rear brake once since putting it on apart from making sure it works:D The 320mm rotor up front is all the braking power this bike needs :bike:

Replacing the front with a disc will make a noticeable difference, but the rear will just be less prone to brake fade.

I have both and I find that the drum will slow the bike much faster with less pressure than the(front) disc. The disc set up has new oem yamaha pads with a rebuilt caliper and stainless brake hose and aftermarket performance master cylinder.:shrug:

Well, it is possible the drum is better when used sparingly. I have heard of drum brakes being retained on some rally cars. Apparently they worked just fine; they were just more prone to overheating when being hammered on repeatedly.

I have drums all around on my bike and they stop quite well.

Back