Rejetting for Pods

happy61

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm new here and need some advice. I have a 78 XS400 that I've owned since new. Bike was ridden daily to work for years to the tune of about 30K miles. Bike sat for 20+ years but is in good shape. I recently decided to get her running again a have it in the hands of a bike enthusiast who loves them as much as I do. We're trying to do what we can to update a bit and make it a bit cooler. A couple items are Pod air filters and 2 into 1 exhaust. He's not sure what to rejet the carbs. Also wondering about the noise level of the 2 into 1. I'm an old geezer and don't need to be making a lot of noise, the grandkids already question my sanity. Any suggestions or advice?

Welcome Happy61!

Maybe a bit of an intro? We are trying to get people to break the habit of wanting answers to their questions without giving a little in return....as such...an intro.

Either way, we are glad to have you here.

Sorry about the original post, just in a bit of a hurry. My name's Dave, married 46 years, 3 little grandsons including twins, 7 yrs old last week. As I mentioned, I spend 6 mos or so in Ohio and Florida. I rode the 400 in rain or snow to work and back for years and love the thing. I'm going to end up with more in it than it's worth but I have a tendency to assign human feelings to inanimate objects so I guess I'll live with it. I belong to several forums including Rolex watches and Honda Ridgelines among others. The forum concept is great and I spend a lot of retirement time on them. Happy to be here, thanks.

welcome Dave,

If you repack the 2 in 1, you can get it quieter. the pod question requires rather more ambigous answer, it depends;

1) what you do to your exhaust
2) what condish are the carbs in

I'd sort out the exhaust to what you want, run the bike after that and do a few plug chops/carb tweeks before you dive in there.

drewps

Helluva intro Happy!! We are glad to have you here!

As Drewpy mentioned, rejetting for your exhaust and pods is going to be more of a trial and error process than anything. With your 2 into 1 exhaust and pod air filters, I would suggest starting out with one size larger jets than stock and going from there.

We would love to see a few pictures of you ride as well....As with most forums, we live for pictures! haha

Again, welcome!!

We would love to see a few pictures of you ride as well....As with most forums, we live for pictures! haha
Second that! :)

And welcome to the forum!

I have a 2-1 system, and looking to put pods on mine eventually.
The exhaust was mounted when I bought it and I haven't yet checked out the carbs so don't know how it's set-up.

Not much help, but at least now you know you're not alone. :)

The 2 into one systems look cool and I really wanted to go that way. Unfortunately, the only one I've seen is from MAC and despite being $250, other comments I've seen say it may not be real high quality. I plan to wrap the headers so don't care if they're black or chrome. The pods look good but you have to vent the case with a smaller pod or some other means that might lead to blown seals. One problem just leads to another.

dave, thought of making your own exhaust?

Attachments

• exhaust dimensions.jpg
    exhaust dimensions.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 375
dave, thought of making your own exhaust?
Thanks, mate. The guy that's working on the bike is very good and we may try that. So far the project has gone from just getting her running to new rings, valves, etc. If she runs good I'd like to remove/bob the front fender, bob rear fender, go with a solo seat, new exhaust and pods. I like the look without chainguard too. The old budget is pretty well wrecked anyway. Probably a good place for some of the kids inheritance.

Having trouble getting pics uploaded, hope this works. These are before pics, not too bad considering she has 30K + miles and sat untouched in corner of garage for 20+ years.

Attachments

• th_2010-11-10054.jpg
    th_2010-11-10054.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 367
  • th_2010-11-10056.jpg
    th_2010-11-10056.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 343
  • th_2010-11-10060.jpg
    th_2010-11-10060.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 332
  • th_2010-11-10061.jpg
    th_2010-11-10061.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 358
nice bike dave!

I use photobucket, its free and you just upload to there and copy and paste the IMG tags which pop up when you hover the mouse over the uploaded picture!

nice bike dave!

I use photobucket, its free and you just upload to there and copy and paste the IMG tags which pop up when you hover the mouse over the uploaded picture!
Hey Drew, I had these pics in my Photobucket account but couldn't get them to upload so I saved them to my computer and attached them. Please spell out the procedure for getting them from photobucket step by step for me. Pretend you're talking to a two year old, I might get it. Cheers!

if you copy the image code from the options next to the picture and then paste them into the body of the post they will show up like this.

87801b8b.jpg

Back