removing and replacing brake light switch

Robsteeler66

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
:wtf: is there some Da Vinci code on removing and replacing the brake and clutch switches? This is getting ridiculous. I broke one of the tabs off the brake switch, now I'm having tough time trying to fit it to the new perch! :banghead: it may be the powder coat , but the holes too tight! I don't want to break a tab on the clutch side but I can't seem to disengage the tabs. What should I try? :shrug:

Why is it always the simple things that get me? Maybe because the manual never shows the simple things! I guess they assume you know it. Not true when you're teaching yourself!

I just pulled on the brake switch. With a little squeeze at the join it came out but one of the tabs was broken. I can't for the life of me seem to get the clutch side! Hope someone knows and tells!

The brake and clutch lever brackets have a little hole on the bottom side of them just under the switch. If you stick a smaller size screwdriver in there and push up it will release the tab on the switch that holds it in place. If the tab is broken check to make sure the tab didnt get left behind, you could have a bad time trying to get the switch back in there otherwise.

If you had the brackets powdercoated, hopefully if the tab was left behind it didnt melt in the hole. If you think its the powdercoat you might need to drill out the hole to clear the powder from inside there. They dont fit tight but they are fairly tight tolerance.

No problem, it took me quite a while to sort that out back when I had to replace one on my old xj650, but its the same with these bikes too. Dont feel stupid its an easy thing to miss unless you take the whole lever assembly off to look at it more closely.

Well, that was a short lived victory. Switch just ain't comin' off. Maybe I damaged the tab with all of the pulling and twisting because it won't release.

How hard is it to install a new switch? Is there a connector in the headlamp?

Last edited:
Has anyone installed new brake switches and/or clutch safe-t switch? It looks like the clutch switch comes with a connector, but the brake switch seems to have metal connectors that may need to be crimped or soldered. Anyone done this and know?

Yea the metal ends are just round plugs that push together. Trace the wires into the headlight housing and mark the wires with a piece of tape to show which ones go to the switch(sometimes there are extra connectors that are unused in there). I agree though if you cant get it out nicely it may be best to just use some forceful maintenance to remove it and replace with new. If that is the case probably easiest would be to get an assistant to press in on the little retainer at the bottom. Then find a punch small enough to fit through the hole where the switch reaches the levers and try to punch it out with a smaller hammer.

Back