resistance ok? but still no spark! please assist?

patrock

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, been reading this forum a lot in the past few months hoping to catch a clue as to what exactly my electrical problem is... no such luck for me. so I thought I might try and get a few personal responses?
first things first... I have no spark. and its honestly puzzling me, because I have all the correct resistance readings.
stator reads .8 or .9.....manual says .72 ohms with 10% variations. so im guessing im ok?
field coil reads 4 ohms.....manual says 4
ignition coils read 4-4.3 ohms primary side.....manual says 4
ignition coils read 9.32k ohms secondary side.....manual matches that.
I checked plug cap resistance and that read 8.15k ohms not sure if that helps or hurts

back when I had everything back together all electrics were working like a charm.
but still no spark :banghead:
I have tried to adjust the points to the best of my knowledge.
so if anybody has some input please feel free to shed some light. and possibly enlighten me on some other key components that could be checked to see if they have failed.
thank you all

Oh a points/condenser situation. I know nothing of that, except its listed in the manual.

How ever my favorite advise I love to give out is the "rule out the cheap stuff." By trimming the wire on both ends by .5 inch, you will have freshen up the connection to the each the coil, and the cap to plug. Gives you a chance to squeeze the wire into the spikes a fresher connection. The new plugs at about 5 bucks a pair, its a cheap easy place to start, as well since you have the manual open, ensure the spark gap is right.

here is a good spot to start to look for "how to's"
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595
Once you have a chance to see if that doesn't answer some questions or they create more questions than they answer. We are more than happy to help. Hope I got you started in the right direction

FYI- incase you missed it, the Manuals are on top of the Garage listed as a "sticky" that just means it isn't going anywhere, it will all ways be on the top three of the garage. then the re-wire, and or the "wire diagrams" are listed under the Tech section, and you will notice it under the Electric section, or something just as straight forward.

Back