Running on 1 cylinder

deadeye

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me out last week I was riding home when outta of no where the right cylinder stopped firing I pulled over had a drink and after about 10 minutes I started it up and it was running on both again I almost made it home and it started missing again I figured it was a bad coil and installed 2 new ones. This time it ran for about 10 mins lost the right cylinder again and then completely died, same thing let it sit for 10 mins and it started back up. Today I torn down the carbs and cleaned them the screens on the floats were really dirty. put it back together and it idles perfect runs on both cylinders but as soon as I go over 1/4 throttle it sounds like a popcorn maker the right cylinder cutting in and out the coils are for a xs650 but it said they were usable on the 400 as well could I have wired them wrong or is it still a carb problem ?

Clean the carbs again. Make sure to get all the small passages and remove all the parts including the needle jet. You don't need the float screens, just make sure you have a in-line fuel filter. Compressed air ( 125-150psi) works well for clearing holes:wink2:

Back