setting float level

logan

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started tearin into my 50$ special today, thought I'd start with cleaning the carbs out.
Well what do you know, some dumb ass has been in there before me, and the floats are definetly not right, ones way up, the other is way down. can someone give me a clue as to how and where to set the floats? thanks

A bit of text...

Float%20Level%201.JPG

and a bit of a picture...

Float%20Level%202.JPG

Hope these help :thumbsup:

I started tearin into my 50$ special today, thought I'd start with cleaning the carbs out.
Well what do you know, some dumb ass has been in there before me, and the floats are definetly not right, ones way up, the other is way down. can someone give me a clue as to how and where to set the floats? thanks
Take the float bowl off, and turn the carb upside-down. The floats should be set at 32 +or- 1MM. That distance is measured from the lower most edge of the float (or the upper end of the float if the carb is upside-down) to flange on the carb body where the float bowl bolts to.

Let me know if that helps man.

F**k you guys are fast! I thought I would do somthing else till tommorrow! checked the compression, it read 125 on both cylinders. Dont know how accurate that is, all ive got is a push on tester and its hard to hold it there and kick it over at the same time!! thanks again Ill keep you guys posted

mikeybikey, thanks man thats just what I needed! got the carbs all set up and cleaned up, then it was time to see if she would fire. Nope, course not, wouldnt be that easy! spent the rest of the day chasing around wiring bugs and glitches! Boy some people are dumb, wires are color coded for a reason, arent they?!!

mikeybikey, thanks man thats just what I needed! got the carbs all set up and cleaned up, then it was time to see if she would fire. Nope, course not, wouldnt be that easy! spent the rest of the day chasing around wiring bugs and glitches! Boy some people are dumb, wires are color coded for a reason, arent they?!!
What are you planning on doing with the bike? If you're making a bobber or something, then you can get rid of a lot of wiring if you want...

The member Drewpy posted some pics under some modded xs400's, the 16th picture, the flat black one, something like that would be my dream bike! but for now I just want to get it running! lol I was farting around with it today, i've got lights and horn and got it cranking over, but now the off run off switch has a break in one of the wires so im gonna tackle that, im thinkin thats whats causing no sparky! checked the coils they seem good

The member Drewpy posted some pics under some modded xs400's, the 16th picture, the flat black one, something like that would be my dream bike! but for now I just want to get it running! lol I was farting around with it today, i've got lights and horn and got it cranking over, but now the off run off switch has a break in one of the wires so im gonna tackle that, im thinkin thats whats causing no sparky! checked the coils they seem good
So you like more of a "bratstyle" look then? I like the brats as well, actually that's the way my girls bike KZ400 will be. Even going that style, you could get rid of a lot of the wiring.

The run/kill switch would definitely cause no spark, hopefully that's all it is!!

i thought that page of the manual was wrong in the float height the spec listed in the back was correct though 25mm or 26mm +/-1mm or something like that either way the correct spec is wherever the bike likes it :D good luck mi amigo

General rule of thumb with CV carbs:

Somewhere between 1-3mm from the gasket level. That's where the float should be shutting off the fuel level. In case you're ever stuck in some kind of zombie apocalypse scenario where you need to set the floats on a random cv carb...

Back