Shiftless bike; where to look for the problem?

Cadapult

XS400J Medic
Reaction score
Only my 2nd post and I'm looking for help. Be warned, it won't be the last time, I'm sure. :shrug:
Anyway, I just bought my first cycle, a not-yet-running '82 XS400J Maxim that's in need of TLC. The issue involves the tranny. It seems to be stuck in neutral. The pedal moves up & down a bit, but no shifting is taking place. I adjusted the clutch screw-and-locknut under the rubber plug per the manual, and adjusted the cable at the lever but no luck. A PO apparently dumped it at a low speed, based on some grind marks on the clutch lever, left footpeg, and shift lever. Could that have done something to the shift lever shaft, or boogered something with the shifter forks? My question is what items are the most likely suspects to be jammed-up? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cadapult

Are you spinning the rear wheel when trying to shift? Most bikes will not shift without either the engine turning of the bike moving.

Really?? I did not know that. Part of the problem of never having owned a motorcycle before, and I've only ridden one a handful of times, many years ago. I'll spin the rear wheel and try it. The carbs are off the bike so I can't start it, but could I also try working the shifter while the starter is spinning the engine (and it's up on the center stand) without breaking anything?
It'll be a major relief if the tranny/shifter is OK. Thanks much for the input!
Cadapult

Since the engine is not running, don't worry about the clutch and just spin the rear wheel forward while pushing the lever down firmly for first.

You were right on the money. I spun the back wheel and she shifted into 1st, stopping the wheel. A nudge up on the lever and back to neutral. That's a relief. I'm trying to do this on the cheap. I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of a shifter replacement early in the resurrection. Thanks!
Cadapult

True, but for me right now it's easier to scrape up small piles of cash every so often rather than one large pile. Just gotta hope it isn't going to require a whole lot of small piles. :)

True, but for me right now it's easier to scrape up small piles of cash every so often rather than one large pile. Just gotta hope it isn't going to require a whole lot of small piles. :)

I think you may be surprised that is you have more time than money and a willingness to do things yourself and learn, you can end up with a great bike for not a lot of cash. These motorcycles are pretty simple as mechanical things go and a great place to learn.

Back