Simplified Wiring... Super Simplified... Help =)

thejadedfool

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all...

I have done a bunch of reading and studying of the diagrams... But I would like a little input from those that have done something similar...

What I want to do is strip down to the least amount of wiring as possible on a 1981 XS400H Special II... I want to have a headlight ( hi and low ) and a tail-light / brake-light... a switch to turn on the bike which will also serve as the kill... that is it... shooting for a total minimalist ww1 military bike...

WHAT I DO NOT WANT =)... turn signals... gauges... electric start... horn... kill switch... keyed ignition... clutch sensor thing ( sorry do not know the correct term for that )... and as few of the electronics as possible...

Also open to thinking outside the box... I have a 78 engine with points laying around... would going with points eliminate any of the other things?? Is it possible to go completely without a battery?? I have a smaller one that works fine... and is easily hide-able... but if there was a way to go without I would =)

Has anyone used the simplified wiring diagram on an 81 xs400h?? That diagram seems to be the closest to what I am looking to do...

Just looking for some tips or cool ideas... or experiences... I will be diving in and giving it my best... Any help would be appreciated!!

Peace
David

Think twice about no kill switch...I built a bike like that once, laid it down in a very slow left side fall in the rain and I couldnt reach the key. 50 people watched my bike spin out of control until it flooded. Pretty much ruined the bike. You might might be luckier than me though.

Thanx all...

hmusket... Love the idea in the link!!... and if I can scrounge up a few extra bucks I may give that a go =)

Daddio... Thanx for the advice... I do see where that would have come in handy... I wont have a key in my build just a good sized switch... So I guess I will have a kill switch... just wasnt thinking of it that way... =)

leedutcher... Thanx for the info!

Peace

David

Definitely should not go without a battery, as the alternator can only supply a few volts (the '82 manual says 1.8) at startup. The regulator can only dissipate so much power from the alternator, and charging the battery helps prevent the regulator from burning up. When I ran with a dead battery I had to jump it to get started and it stalled whenever the tach fell below ~4kRPM.

Definitely should not go without a battery, as the alternator can only supply a few volts (the '82 manual says 1.8) at startup. The regulator can only dissipate so much power from the alternator, and charging the battery helps prevent the regulator from burning up. When I ran with a dead battery I had to jump it to get started and it stalled whenever the tach fell below ~4kRPM.

Good info... I am gonna run with a small 12v I picked up... It has been working well and is small enough to hide it...

An XS400 will always need a battery (unless modified extensively) because the alternator uses a field coil rather than a permanent magnet and needs the battery to excite the electro magnets in the coil.

A good source of info for wiring a bike is The Font here which has step by step instructions on how to simply wire a chopper.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanx CadXS!!

I am gonna run with the battery... I am running the stock air cleaners cuz they look right for my build I think... so I have the battery compartment there... and with the simplified wiring... I wont have a bunch of wires to stuff in there... so i can put in my small battery and probably a little tool kit...

Thanx all for the info... I am stopping at FleetFarm after work for the supplies... and then I am off and running!!

Peace

David

Back