Someone help. Can't fix this

Riddellw1

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I post this thread a good bit because the problem keeps changing, but originally the Bike would just immediately turn off while I'm driving it, I've looked at the fuses, it is definitely an electrical problem, nobody can figure out what it is whatsoever. If you can I would be absolutely amazed. It just turns off, and then has some trouble starting back up again, but usually would after about five minutes.

NOW, the new problem is the bike WILL NOT START at all. I'll hold down the electric start, and the battery will just wear down until theres no charge and I'll have to charge it back up. Both plugs have spark, fuses are all in great condition, ignition coils appear to be okay. What's the problem?

I'm seriously contemplating giving up and just selling the bike for parts. This problem is way too hard to find and no matter what I do it doesn't get fixed.:mad:

did you spray some starter fluid in the barrels and see if that will do anything?

just remind us what the bike is (sohc?) and whether it has TCI.

As a side note, please don't hold down the starter button cranking away for minutes at a time. It is best to not crank for more than 10 seconds before letting the starter "rest" and cool down. If you think about it, 10 seconds is a pretty long time and if your bike doesn't start during that time period, you have a problem that needs to be addressed. When everything is right, these engines will start almost as fast as a fuel injected motor.

As a side note, please don't hold down the starter button cranking away for minutes at a time. It is best to not crank for more than 10 seconds before letting the starter "rest" and cool down. If you think about it, 10 seconds is a pretty long time and if your bike doesn't start during that time period, you have a problem that needs to be addressed. When everything is right, these engines will start almost as fast as a fuel injected motor.

:agree: I mean look what happened to me... I wouldn't give up and when I was done I stepped off into an oil puddle, dropped my baby, and gas seeped out and ruined my fresh paint job... I would even say 10 is a bit too much :twocents:

Do you have a multimeter or just a cheap continuity tester? Use that to check kill switch and ignition switch. Check for continuity across the fuse box. Do you have access to a wiring diagram? Here's a link from the forum: View attachment 3909
When you tried starting, shouldn't need to hold starter button for more than 5 seconds, and it didn't start, did you check plugs to see if they were wet?

Check all the ground wires.

Use the multimeter to check the charging of the battery. Take the battery to an auto parts store, they can test it to see how it works under load.

Also you might want to check your compression.

Just stick with the basics. You need air,fuel and spark. With these three it should at least try to start.

Hey guys, Bikes still not working, it's a 1982 XS400. I've cleaned all the contacts, I have sparks, I've now completely replaced the fuse box with modern fuses. The bike is starting again, but I'm back to square one with how it stalls. It just randomly turns off while I'm riding it, and then it WILL NOT turn back on for a good little while. It's a new battery, I used a multimeter to check the charge on the ignitor, and the charge drops to like 6 every once and a while, and then climbs back up. But that was before I replaced the fuse box. Any other ideas?

Maybe a rectifier/ regulator problem I think its a one piece box on these bikes.

Hey guys, Bikes still not working, it's a 1982 XS400. I've cleaned all the contacts, I have sparks, I've now completely replaced the fuse box with modern fuses. The bike is starting again, but I'm back to square one with how it stalls. It just randomly turns off while I'm riding it, and then it WILL NOT turn back on for a good little while. It's a new battery, I used a multimeter to check the charge on the ignitor, and the charge drops to like 6 every once and a while, and then climbs back up. But that was before I replaced the fuse box. Any other ideas?

right, so you saying the charge drops to 6volts once in a while and you wonder why the bike cuts out once in a while? :doh:

either there is a big voltage drain somewhere (usually reg/rectifier to earth) or the battery is knackered

Just stick with the basics. You need air,fuel and spark. With these three it should at least try to start.

Maybe a rectifier/ regulator problem I think its a one piece box on these bikes.

right, so you saying the charge drops to 6volts once in a while and you wonder why the bike cuts out once in a while? :doh:

either there is a big voltage drain somewhere (usually reg/rectifier to earth) or the battery is knackered

This will be interesting when you find the problem.

You say: I've looked at the fuses, it is definitely an electrical problem
Then You say: Fiddled around with literally every connection

"fiddled" is good but have you TESTED, literally, every connection?

You say: no customizations OTHER THEN new handle bars.
Then you say: looked at the killswitch on the inside and saw the two little silver contacts and they seemed to be clean.
Also say: checked the killswitch again and all seemed to be perfectly fine, there wasn't much I could do to tell if it was bad, but it all seemed connected.

Have you TESTED?

You say: I've tightened the terminals, they do seem to be a little rusty but I'm not sure if that's vital

Wouldn't that be considered an electrical problem?

You say: Checked the ignition coils for any problems as best as I could

Tested??? (btw, no, the coils aren't aircooled)

You say: I know this isn't a fuel or air or combustion problem.

Maybe, since you mentioned shuts off suddenly - if that is the case.

Did you have this problem before your only customization (handlebars) and if not did it begin shortly after that?

Someone mentioned wires from ignition and possible damage.
Rectifier probably best thing to TEST; easy since you have a multimeter.

You say that it's getting worse. Do you mean more frequent or shuts off faster.

I like the suggestion of shaking the tank due to debri, keeping it simple.
Is there water in the gas?
If it's electrical is the battery grounded?? Again keeping it simple.

I'm a newbie so not trying to be "smart" and really don't think you should just give up!! I think someone also mentioned getting a service manual - those are helpful. But don't give up.

I wouldn't reply to this with my limited mechanical ability but since i had a lawnmower with almost identical problem (hey, at least it's a 4-cycle combustion engine, ha) .. . .sporadic, would quit, then run awhile etc. (the exception is there was slight bogging when it quit but not much). Turns out it was suffocating for air and just needed an air filter.

Start simple, try to recall taking the handlebars off maybe. Also don't wear down a perfectly new battery the same way as last (not to mention the starter!) (at least the start button works darn fine :) )

When you say that you checked the grounds,does that mean that you removed every ground connection on the frame,wirebrushed,and put dielectric grease on them? If you didn't,then you don't know that the problems aren't grounds,If you don't know for sure that the kill switch isn't the problem,disconnect the wire,take a ride to see if it cuts off. the coils,if they've been overheated will act like that as they are cooled by oil in the case,and once overheated,they are more likely to go bad.You need to follow the troubleshooting steps that I learned a long time ago,which is to first check the free stuff[grounds,petcock,gas cap],then the cheap stuff,then whatever's left. Don't throw parts at the problem. lha

Iha, I think he got it to start and let it idle in front of Walmart. He's gone and done with it. . Also . .

If he gots spark then its not his kill switch or iggys.....maybe the points are not set? Or timing?

Maybe he backed over it to fix it.

Back