Springs Over Forks ONOHEAIN'T!

BamaBill

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
OK guys, I'm a crazy fella who likes to do stuff unconventional. I've seen some bikes with spring over their forks. I know this will greatly stiffen the front end...... I've completely rebuilt my forks back to factory specs. I did use a heavier oil, can't remember the whieght, but I'm very dis-satisfied with the dumpiness of the front end. I replaced my rear shocks and lowered the rear with the 250 Rebel shocks. I'm not going for any particular style or looks, just something mild custom, bobberish, but not too wild. I have the original rear shocks and have been measuring the springs and really thinking about mocking up this mod just to see. Should be completely reversible so what the heck. I have fork gaitors on the bike now, im thinking I can actually cover my springs with the gaitors also........I'll keep everyone posted and pics.......until then, who here has done this mod & give me some pros and cons on handling, cornering, ect.....

Figured i would have some input on this by now.....I'm making progress, its like biker buildoff to me right now. i will have it ready for Wednesdays New Years ride.

Attachments

• CAM00058.jpg
    CAM00058.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 125
  • CAM00057.jpg
    CAM00057.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 123
Project is done! 2.5 Hours! Its 44 degrees here and i test rode it about 10 miles around town...feels good. A lot stiffer than it was...heck it was bottoming out all the time. Reminds me of my old sportster. i had. its a rough ride, but that is expected. Handled great. Not rubbing the poles either. I used sime pvc flanges that fit just over the poles but just inside the springs on top and bottom.

I cut about an inch off of the stock rear shock springs......I've been researching springs, I just got another set off of e-bay from a 1970s T120R Bonneville that came off the front forks. I'm hoping they are lighter weight and gives better than the ones I just put on. It's an easy project, just keep the springs from making contact with the forks.

I need to get to mine someday,they aren't bottoming out yet but they are soft.
could be I need to change the fork oil but since its so cold I cant do any work in my storage now.
Congrads on completing your task,job well done.

Just an update on this mod. It was too stiff with the springs from the rear shock. I scored another set from e-bay that come off the front of a '72 Triumph T160 that runs external springs. The spring diameter was perfect. They were right at 9" tall. They are much softer springs than the rear shock springs. I didn't cut them, left them full length and installed them, so they have some preload. It's a much better ride. I'm contemplating getting new fork poles 2-3" longer anyhow with my bobber build. But for this year I'm riding it as it is. Bobber will happen next winter. The rest of my bike attention will go toward some upgrades and maintainence on my VTX to get ready for my North Dakota trip in May.

Back