Starter Replacement

myztro

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
78 XS400 - pulled old starter, replaced with new and it just spun. After pulling new starter it appears either I am missing a part or it has sunk down into the case. Can I repair this without pulling the left side cover?

If I need to pull the cover, I imagine I will need a new gasket. What is this gasket called? Also do I need to drain the oil?

Very newbie. Non mechanic. Thx.

Attachments

• IMG00802-20120419-1133.jpg
    IMG00802-20120419-1133.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 353
yes you are going to have to take off the left side (stator) cover off.. looks like you are missing the gear? there is also a plastic tension guide in there?

When inside check all of your bolts that hold the alternator inside the cover itself. I have seen 2 loose ones now. If a bolt comes out it will spin around inside your case and can take out the case its self.

Drain the oil, pull off the cover take a look at what you have. its pretty straight forward.

Why did you replace the starter to begin with? Was it spinning without turning the motor? If so it is not your starter that is gone but the starter clutch. You can buy a kit that has new rollers and springs.. Uou will also have to get a stator puller (flywheel puller)(if you don't have one) to pull off the stator first

you can buy new gaskets from a few places or you can buy a roll of gasket paper for about $9 that you can trace out from the old one and cut your own. The $9 roll has done about 3 bikes worth of gaskets for me already and looks to be the same material as factory. Its handy to have around.

No need to install new gasket if you manage not the damage to existing one. There is no pressure in there just be sure it doesn't leak. And yes it seems that your missing a few parts to get it electric start again. I don't want to know what the chain does there if the engine is running...blood everywhere.

I just pushed a rag in the small hole at the bottom where the oil came out. Lost very little oil.

Back