Steering Tapered roller bearings issues

Shaun Chandler

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone every used the Pyramid Tapered Roller Bearings. I looked all over this site and others before posting so I hope I'm not asking a question that has already been asked.

I bought these bearings awhile back and am just at the point in my build that I can install them. Was putting together my front shocks and about to mount them when I ran into a problem with the seals.

To make matters worse there instructions are online and guess what that part of their website is down right now being improved :doh:

I just can't see any way these seals can possibly work. The lower cup is one millimeter bigger then the upper and I can't get the seal to fit the bottom so there is no way it will go into the top. Pulling my hair out.

Anyone who has experience with installing these please help. I can put in the old races for now if I have to so I can keep mocking things up but what bothers me is I bought these some time ago off ebay and I'll have to check my history but I'm sure I'll have trouble getting the situation fixed.

Help:banghead:

Shaun

I have the all-balls set installed on mine and it looks very similar. I believe I also had an issue with the seals if I can remember correctly (couldn't get enough threads for the gear-shaped nut or something like that). I will take a photo of how they went on in a few minutes. So far I have driven quite a few miles without issue.

Attachments

• taper1.jpg
    taper1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 264
  • taper2.jpg
    taper2.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 294
  • taper3.jpg
    taper3.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
It is tight in there. The bottom seal is ok as it sits on a step.
The top bearing, tighten the head down without the cover and the braring set will settle down. Undo the top nut and then use the cover. These bearings are about 1mm proud generally.
I've used these bearings on both my bikes.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks for the responses guys. The bearing sitting proud hasn't been a problem but I was aware it was going to happen from the reading I've done prior to installing.

Bcware did you use the seal that came with the kit on the bottom from the picture it kinda looks like you are using the old seal on bottom? I can see your top seal looks the same as the ones I received in the kit. I actually considered just using the old seal since its in good shape or even buying a new one of the old style.

I emailed the people at pyramid last night and they got back to me today but directed me to some other website for install instructions (not their website) with no info on the seals. I'm good with the install everything is together right now so I can keep mocking up just no seals in. I can put the bottom bearing on by hand with out to much effort and a little heat from a hair dryer and it comes off.

I attached a couple pics Bc (can I call ya Bc :thumbsup: ) let me know if you can tell what seal you have on bottom.

What did we do before forms and digital cameras :shrug:

Attachments

• P1010510.JPG
    P1010510.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 187
  • P1010512.JPG
    P1010512.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 175
Thanks Drewpy Ya I think I'll do the same. Its funny I've bought a couple "kits" with all the parts needed for a job and it never fails I seem to end up buying new seals or different parts to make it work. I have this box of parts I'll never use.

I think I should stop buying kits

What do they say the defenition of in sanity is again. Something like doing something over and over and expecting different results.

It has been quite a while since I did the install, but I think I did use the original seal as well! There is no reason not to if the rubber is still good. I remember for certain that it was the seals that were causing clearance problems though. After over a 1000 miles I have it pulled apart and everything looked squeaky clean in there; no debris. It looks like the seal is doing its job.

Shaun, the bottom seal is designed to seal to the headstock not the race of the bearing. Were you saying in the first post that you were trying to get it to fit the bottom cup? The top seal is probably not necessary if you are re-using the original bearing cover as any dirt coming up under the cover will reach the bearing before it reaches the seal.

Hey Bc thanks ya I will reuse the bottom. Not sure what I'll do on top yet. But I'll figure it out.

CadXS. Sorry ya I'm sure my post isn't clear I wrote it while I was frustrated, I meant to seal the head stock. But I think I will just reuse the old seal it seems best for the job. I will be using the original bearing cover, buttI'm not sure what I will do up top mabey find another seal. I would like it to be sealed if possible. Easy enough to source my own seal though.

Thanks again guys. Amazing how the smallest job can be such a head ache yet bigger jobs sometimes seem to be a breeze.

Shaun

Back