Successful LED signal conversion

ThePsuedoMonkey

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, the stock signal relay didn't work for me when I swapped to the smaller incandescent rear signals. In a nutshell, there were three obstacles to overcome for the LED conversion: (1) the relay, (2) the self-canceling unit, and (3) the indicator on the gauge cluster. The first relay I used didn't work, probably because it was cheap, but the one that did was a "CF14 JL-02" that I bought on ebay (link provided for the lazy :wink2:). I needed to re-tab the connector for it though. IMG_20120614_171627.jpg
To address the second issue, I simply disconnected the self-cancel unit. This gives you two more issues: (A) You need to run a separate ground to the flasher, in order to replace the yellow/green wire that ran to the unit, and (B) now we NEED to fix #3 for safety.

But first, some electrical engineering! The indicator leads are the individual circuits to the left/right signals. This works for incandescent bulbs because they need a certain amount of current before they light up, and the little indicator light uses up enough that the opposite circuit acts as a ground, but not enough to light 'em up. The LEDs are way more efficient, so leaving this setup makes all of the signal lights go on at the same time. To remedy this, I built my own special turn indicator light.

I scavenged the base to an SMD replacement bulb, some circuitboard, two white LEDs (FV=4.6V), a 500 ohm resistor, and some magnet wire. Take the LEDs and thread the + terminals through the board and put on ~1cm of tiny heat shrink, apply fire and squish. Solder the - terminals together with one terminal of the resistor, then the other to the magnet wire (after exposing to metal by scratching with a razor blade) and cover with ~3cm of heat shrink. This magnet wire will be the ground, but the metal inside the housing is no good, so it gets wired to where one of the reflectors would have been.

Easy peasy (at least when compared to what I thought a week ago) :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20120614_162051.jpg
    IMG_20120614_162051.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20120614_165615.jpg
    IMG_20120614_165615.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_20120614_171618.jpg
    IMG_20120614_171618.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 251
This is a great post!

I' m working on wiring my led turn signals at the moment. I got a led conversion flasher relay that has 2 wires. I think it's hooked up correctly, but the signals only work intermittently. The signals will suddenly stop working when I'm testing them by turning on and off a couple of times. I'm thinking that either the switch is bad or the self-canceling unit isn't working correctly. I'm definitely fine with losing the self-canceling unit if that's the issue, but can I do it with the 2 wire relay?

I try my best with wiring but its definitely not my strong suit.

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance!

:wtf:

great to hear a success story from someone with LED's. Been struggling with this a little, but this helps enormously! Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Back