The XS400J-K experiment ends on a sad note.

Unless you are the original owner of the bike and therefore know with 100% certainty how it spent the last 35 years, how often the oil was changed, and how hard it's been ridden, I don't see how you can claim whatever problems you are having are with the design. On one side, there is three of you with major issues. Even between the three of you the issue is not the same. On the other side, there is a pile of people all over the world with the same bike that aren't having these kinds of problems.

If the XS 400 was that fragile, there wouldn't be so many of them around still. Yes, they have some problems. Pretty much all of them are age-related - crumbling rubber in brakes, brittle fuseboxes, rotted foam in filters. Carburetor problems are the same as for any old bike - clogged with varnish from sitting, air leaks from old rubber. They were never fancy bikes, nobody babied them.

You lost a gamble on a very used bike. Sorry. Life ain't fair. Blame Yamaha, if you like, but any bike that old is going to have problems, and that kawasuzihonda you're pining for can turn out to be just as much of a lemon. A machine that does not at all break ever has not been invented yet.

If the XS 400 was that fragile, there wouldn't be so many of them around still.

Other than us here on the forum where are they all at?
I seen an old Suzuki yesterday but I have never seen another Xs400 or 650 here where I live.

I live between Detroit and Flint and check craigslist almost everyday.Given that I live inbetween to major large cities since I bought mine last year I havent seen another one.I see some xs650`s and 850`s once in a while and crap load of yamaha Virago`s..They are more rare than what a person might beleive.:)

I've seen one other 400 on Craigslist once, it was a hardtail bobber. Other than that I've never seen one. Yea tons of viragos. Ass loads of Harley's and old Hondas.

It's like excersize equipment.

You'll see tons of at home "total" gyms and crap on craigslist and kijiji, but hardly anyone is selling squat racks/barbells/plates.

The reason is that the people who have a good squat rack and set aren't willing to part with them. While the scam at home gym machines are always trying to be pawned off on the next sucker.

I agree with Benjamin and xschris on this one. All my friends ride newer sportbikes, but they all gawk over my well maintained 1980 KZ750 Twin. Sure I've probably worked on mine a lot more than they have on there's, but at the end of the day I have something I can appreciate and all they do is cry because they are broke from buying newer rides that still break down and are still as costly to fix. Most complaints come from a lack of competence or unwillingness to teach one self new things. Also, parts are easier to come by than most people think, it just takes a little work as well.

Back