Top end rebuild, what's it gonna take?

njcafe84

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My cam seal is leaking pretty good now and the head gasket is seeping so I figure its time to replace the gaskets in the top end.

My questions are, how long will this take me(never done it before) can it be done in the frame and what's a good complete gasket kit to buy? Also will the gasket kit even contain the cam seal?

Any advice for someone doing this for a first time would be great, thanks everyone

I have the DOHC engine, but I'm pretty sure it's about as easy on the SOHC bikes. It took me about three hours to do my valve clearances on my DOHC, which has shims (you have adjusters, they're easier). Was my first time.

It's open in about 20 minutes, and can be done with the engine in the frame.

My advice is to do it on a day off, so you can take your time and not rush things. Do the valve clearances, and do a carb sync after you're done. It's not so hard :)

Don't know what is included in a gasket set or where to get those, though..

I have the DOHC engine, but I'm pretty sure it's about as easy on the SOHC bikes. It took me about three hours to do my valve clearances on my DOHC, which has shims (you have adjusters, they're easier). Was my first time.

It's open in about 20 minutes, and can be done with the engine in the frame.

My advice is to do it on a day off, so you can take your time and not rush things. Do the valve clearances, and do a carb sync after you're done. It's not so hard :)

Don't know what is included in a gasket set or where to get those, though..

Several different online stores carry the full topend gasket set.The head and valve cover gasket are included along with everything else.They sell for around $40.Im pretty sure partszilla,boats.net,mikexs,old bike barn,bike bandit and ebay sell them.

Yeah as willem says just take your time. Read through the manual (engine chapter) a few times before attempting rebuild to familiarise yourself with things. Don't skip text just read the whole chapter properly, a few times. Its not hard once your in there, just make sure you put the cam in at the right position as explained in the manual.

Heres my engine rebuild thread: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6874&highlight=crunch+time

I run into a few pitfalls here that you may avoid by knowing about them, may or may not be helpful to you :)

Back