Torque meter/sensor/whateveror for small socket wrench?

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
The manual has some plain and simple guidance regarding how much torque should be applied to certain parts. I want to try and make use of that information.

Is there a cheap attachment for socket wrenches that will inform me as to how much torque pressure I'm applying to a given bolt? One that acts as a sort of bridge between the wrench and the socket?

:laugh::yikes::banghead::shrug::bike:

you can buy attachments for a ratchet to measure torque. They are usually a little digital gauge atleast the ones I've seen. But I would just go buy a real torque wrench. It will be a usefull tool you will have the rest of your life.

Shaun

Yup, a real torque wrench. Also I reccomend trying several of the same brand and check them before you buy. Set the dial and see when it releases the wrenches should. Nest together in their release. Best Waugh is to check it against a friends Snap on, Matco or one like that. Most pro mechanics have theirs calibrated periodically. I once bought one from harborfreight which was accurate three times, after that I had to re calibrate it all the time. So I ended up dropping the money on a Craftsman which has done pretty well. You might need two as well as the torque figures on these bikes are pretty light when compared to cars. Once you have one you will use it all the time.

Ya I find it handy to use the smaller 3/8 wrenches. Easier to use on a little engine and they usually have the range required. As daddio said though a good wrench is worth the money. It dosen't mean you need to buy snap on. But probably best to stay away from harbour freight. Or where I am in canada princess auto since we don't have harbour freight.

Shaun

I think you're talking about the type which have a needle that shows thepounds on a plate as the wrench flexes. These are cheap and do not require calibrating and for occasional use are adequate but, they are real accurate for light loads. The more you use them the less accurate they are because as the metal continually flexes and the metal fatigues. Of course any torque wrench is better than none. Just check it against a accurate one to tell you the percentage yours is off and all is good.

I'm checkin' out the Craftsman Digitork 3/8 5-80 ft. lbs. wrench. Will 80 usually be enough? Thanks for all the help over the past few months, people. I've learned a lot.

80 should be good I would think. Do you have the manual just breeze through the torque specs in the chapters see how high they go. It dosen't need to be digital. I actually went and bought a digital compression tester last month got it home then wondered to myself why I spent double just for the digital readout that will definetly die sooner then a bare bones unit. Plus I got it home and the light didn't work. Returned it. But I did check compression with it first :)

I've been using a cheap needle-type because my cheap ratchet style one broke after a few months of use on a car. Spending more on a brand name is a good idea. The needle type is more of a pain because you need to be able to see the needle while you're torquing and the needle has definitely bent over time; it doesn't rest at 0 anymore. It looks like you get what you pay for.

Okay, so this one might not be my best entry level investment.

Hmmm.

So, is digital the next level up? I'll keep clicking. I'm doing google shopping price low-to-high ... but definitely Craftsman.

Edit: by "needle type" you're talkin' beam-type, right?

I found this one, which shows promise, assuming that the bike doesn't have anything that requires LESS than 10 lbs. torque. Thoughts?

You can get by with the beam type, but it isn't the best. If you're not going to do work on your vehicles regularly I'd consider it. If you plan to do more jobs yourself you'll appreciate the click type.

Digital doesn't make the tool better in my opinion; it's probably just easier to get a very precise torque. A digital display can be stuck on a cheap tool. Maybe you can get some reviews before you decide.

If something requires less than 10 foot pounds I, and many mechanics, do not use a torque wrench. I've talked to many professionals and this seems to be common. Things like engine case bolts are simply tightened until they are "snug." Of course, the perfect way is to torque everything every time. This is just how I, and a few others, do it.

The only exception I can think of off hand is a few bolts on the top end holding the cam or head on. I believe some are very low torque, and I use a beam type on these. I am much more concerned with engine internals over other less critical areas.

I should just be more clear. On important parts you always torque. On less important ones it depends. Without more experience it may just be a better idea to torque everything with a torque spec listed in the manual.

Last edited:
Okay, so this one might not be my best entry level investment.

Hmmm.

So, is digital the next level up? I'll keep clicking. I'm doing google shopping price low-to-high ... but definitely Craftsman.

Edit: by "needle type" you're talkin' beam-type, right?

I found this one, which shows promise, assuming that the bike doesn't have anything that requires LESS than 10 lbs. torque. Thoughts?

I use 2 torque wrenches, up to 10 lbs and 10lbs to 80 lbs (for wheel nuts)

the number of times iv'e seen stripped casing screws and subsequent cost in remeding it means i torque everything. 6ft lbs case screws, 14 ft lbs spark plugs after a bit you just know what the torque figs are.

Well, I'm having some difficulty finding the right product.

Based on what I'm reading and a few stripped screws on my engine casings, I would like a non-digital, fully mechanical torque wrench for up to 80 lbs. In regards to stripped screws (by previous owner) I'd like to get a lower level one as well.

Feel free to link. This shopping is driving me nuts.

Edit: Going to buy this one but would also like to buy one that does 0-10 lbs ... can't find one anywhere. Pointers?

I'm going to go against the grain. I have a Harbor Freight ("Pittsburgh") click 3/8" torque wrench and I have had it for 2 or 3 years now. I have checked it against a friend's "name brand", high end torque wrench and found it to be as accurate as his. If I were using it every day, it may not hold up (then again, it may), but for weekend use, it has been fine, dependable and accurate.

I'm seeing mixed reviews for your wrench, HoughMade. I think you might have gotten the best of the batch. I'm still leaning towards my snap-on selection.

However, the one I'm after starts at 10. Are there many parts on our bikes that ask for less torque than that?

I'm seeing mixed reviews for your wrench, HoughMade. I think you might have gotten the best of the batch. I'm still leaning towards my snap-on selection.

However, the one I'm after starts at 10. Are there many parts on our bikes that ask for less torque than that?

most stuff 6mm or under! I do tend to use the smaller one the most and the larger one for wheel nuts and spark plugs!

Back