Twisted Lower Triple Tree?

zachchap

XS400 Member
Reaction score
It seems I've gotten into an accident last week on my XS400R and bent my front steering.
20170419_131908.jpg

At first I thought it was my forks, but upon inspection with a straight level there are no visible gaps ( I will bring it to a shop to properly inspect). In the mean time I decide to disassemble my triple trees from the motorcycle chassis and something caught my eye.
20170419_132415.jpg

This is the lower triple tree (made of Iron) and it is not level with it each other. (the other end is on a flat piece of steel) so the forks would go out of alignment and also the wheels.

Should I get a new lower triple or try to twist it the opposite way to align it?

DON'T try twisting it back, the casting has been compromised, and it will likely weaken it further! Get another bottom yoke (tripple tree) I may have a straight one, depending on the stantion size? I think the one I have is for 32mm stantions, I brought it by mistake, when I found a crack in the lower yoke, on my Maxim! Which has 35mm stantions!

Merlin

Thanks Merlin and good to know. My stantions are 35mm as well so looks like I'll have to go online shopping for a new one.

I got my replacement yoke, from eBay, there seemed to be plenty of them on there, at reasonable prices too! Shipping cost will be less for you too, being in Canada, as mine had to be shipped over to England!

Merlin

Back