Vote For My Invention!

Best of luck, but it sounds kind of dangerous. Operating any sort of PDA, phone, electronic while riding a motorcycle (operator or passenger) seems scary to me.

I think that depends on the responsible decision making of the passenger. We're not talking about a low lean curve on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We're talking about 65-75 mph on the straight-ahead freeway "slab". I.E. use wisely.

I honestly think this is a ridiculous idea. If your passenger is more interested in checking out facebook rather than enjoying the ride it is time to get them their own bike, leave them behind, or buy an SUV or minivan.

Right, right ... because no smartphones make use of GPS or in-ride audio.

All smartphones have one button that's dedicated strictly to Facebook and that's all anyone has ever or will ever use them for.

"It's not what you do, it's how you do it".

Last edited:
I think it's an interesting idea. I agree with the "use wisely" part. If the rider/passenger isn't smart enough to make that decision, why are they on a motorcycle? With the advancements and dependence on technology these days I can see this being popular. I know many passengers tend to get kind of bored sitting on the back of a bike for long periods of time. This way, they can check their social sites or even their music if they so desired.

I dont know it just seams like it would cause a distraction to the driver also.I have to say Im in agrement with most on here that dont think its a good idea.

She loves riding. She's not looking for something to keep her occupied. She's going to listen to music. She might help me navigate. Read.

It's not about checking social media.

These devices are easily configured to have a separate "road-ready" mode. As a rider, my rr mode is made up of:

- direct call the wife
- accept voice commands
- view the navigation app / route status
- select a frequently used destination (from a list) and begin GPS directions
- open my music app (spotify)
- play, pause, next, previous music controls
- show me nearby gas stations (organized by price)
- one-touch quick navigation to the nearest gas, food or shelter
- record waypoints via "My Tracks"
- current temperature + weather / approaching storms (if any)

... and all selected functions operate visibly for no more than 30 seconds before becoming a background operation, bringing my initial rr mode application back so I may select something else when necessary.

I'm. Not. Distracted.

It's not there so I can look at it. It's there so it CAN do what I want (not need) it to.

Also, I'm not dependent on the tech. I simply like it. It's a luxury to be used with great care. I'm not strapping a toddler seat into the passenger area and putting on a Disney movie.

(LOL)

I wasn't implying you specifically, but society in general. I'm in agreement that your idea has potential. I think it would be more popular if there was an easy to use "road ready" type app, free of charge readily available and advertised in the motorcycle community.

And what good does gps do for your passenger? Let them know that you are lost? Bad example.
Audio can already be controlled via bluetooth headsets. Bad example.
Is that text message life and death critical? Not yet, but a pothole might just make it so. Bad example.

It is dangerous enough when the rider is distracted by something like a phone or gps. Now you think that a passenger should be shifting around and messing with a distraction rather than holding on and paying attention? Things happen way to quickly on a bike for that kind of distraction. A sudden lane change caused by a careless cage and the passenger is flopping around like a rag doll and smacking their helmet or face on a tablet strapped to your back, if they can stay on the bike at all. I can just imagine the lawsuits that will result, if it is even legal to use such a contraption in the first place. And I hope that it isn't. I've had too many close calls because an idiot cager couldn't keep their eyes on the road. We don't need pillions added to the mix.

There is no way you'll ever convince me that this is a good idea. Like I said, get a minivan if the gadget and it's distraction are so important to your passenger. It's not just what you do, it's when and where you do it. There is a time and a place for everything.

Well spoken Dave:)I feel like this if you need directions or a need to text or call pull over on the shoulder allowing yourself enough room to not be struck by an oncoming motorist.My o2cents

Last edited:
Maxim-umm, that response wasn't intended for you. I just wasn't in the mood to use quotes. I appreciate the comment for "potential".

The audio controls on bluetooth headsets are often more problematic and LESS accessible than a dimly lit button that is right in front of you but out of direct sight. Also, the GPS audio is routed to both helmets, so her control over it might help eliminate my need to do anything. I can just say "hey, hit the go home button for me, would you?" and that would be that. Just an example.

There's also the possibility of mirrored displays. She sees on her screen what I see on mine. That's not hard to configure, either.

Your comment about a text message qualifies as irresponsible use, so YOU'VE provided a bad example. You're assuming only the worst non-rider is going to duct tape a phone to their visor and start texting about dresses and shoes while standing on the passenger seat at 120mph. Not to worry, I understand that you've not gotten around to the whole "it's not what you do but how you do it" phrase that I posted seven entries ago.

I also gather that you'd be distracted. I guess I've got an advantage in that I know to not let such tech distract me. I use it rather than abuse it.

As for ride-friendly apps, I'm on Android, so I use CarHome Ultra: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome&hl=en

and to bolster it's safe use, I use Tasker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en

Last edited:
The audio controls on bluetooth headsets are often more problematic and LESS accessible than a dimly lit button that is right in front of you but out of direct sight. Also, the GPS audio is routed to both helmets, so her control over it might help eliminate my need to do anything. I can just say "hey, hit the go home button for me, would you?" and that would be that. Just an example.

Your comment about a text message qualifies as irresponsible use, so YOU'VE provided a bad example. You're assuming only the worst non-rider is going to duct tape a phone to their visor and start texting about dresses and shoes while standing on the passenger seat at 120mph. Not to worry, I understand that you've not gotten around to the whole "it's not what you do but how you do it" phrase that I posted seven entries ago.

I also gather that you'd be distracted. I guess I've got an advantage in that I know to not let such tech distract me. I use it rather than abuse it.

Just pull over and play with your gps or phone or whatever. All it takes is a minute or 2. Compared to the rest of your life, that is nothing - or it might be everything.

Oppenheimer was just as enthusiastic about his creation as you are, until it was too late. Then he regretted it. I'm opposed to the what that you are proposing, in addition to the how.

And exactly how do you propose preventing irresponsible use? That's right, you can't. Any use will be construed as irresponsible if it results in an accident, or worse a fatality. The argument that you are above being distracted is B.S.

I applaud your creativity and desire to bring this to fruition, however I can not and will not ever agree that it is a worthy invention that should be marketed. If you make one for your own use, fine. You have been warned of some of its potential dangers and claim to be better than most at not being distracted. And I hope that nothing bad ever happens to you and your pillion.

Posted via Mobile

I disagree entirely.

There are many ways to be irresponsible on a motorcycle. One specific feature doesn't dictate that it has to be used dangerously. If someone makes irresponsible use of this, they're likely making many other mistakes as well.

I'm ignoring the concept of "if you plan on using such a thing you shouldn't be gettin' on a bike" and replacing it with "if you can't use such a thing responsibly you shouldn't be gettin' on a bike".

We'll be using this responsibly.

Also worth noting: if you don't know how to program the clock on your microwave, you shouldn't have a smartphone.

Fair enough. We are all entitled to our opinion, right or wrong.

I find your argument intriguing. Based on your argument, you must also be in full support of the 2nd Amendment and have been protesting the gun control laws in your City/State/Country.

I hope that last comment wasn't directed at me, because I've been working with technology and computers for over 30 years. Heck, I've owned microwaves since they became commonplace and had mechanical timers. I've had every major iteration of PDA and smartphone since the Newton. I have also learned when it is NOT appropriate to use them...

That last part was just a punch line.

As for the 2nd amendment, I won't express my political standpoint in too much detail but will say that I'm relieved to see the upset and understanding that both sides of the line seem to grasp fairly well.

It's [people in power vs. people who vote] this round and the uninformed (again, on both sides) are seemingly more willing to listen than usual.

That does NOT happen often.

Gotta say I agree with Dave wholeheartedly... I'd never fiddle with electronics while operating a motorcycle, and the prospect of doing so worries me. I hope someone can convince you not to do it. No offense intended, I'm an experienced professional driver and I can't possibly believe it would be safe.

As for music, I set a playlist on repeat, and don't touch the device while I'm moving or even stopped in traffic. Like I said, no offense. It's been proven that NO-ONE can multitask, you just rapidly switch your attention.
Please be safe.

Last edited:
It's funny. I have a LOT of support on other sites (for my other bikes). One person in particular is also a pro and long-time tourer.

violist17.gif

Fiddling = not having efficient software on the phone or PDA, forcing the user to go through a series of processes to do whatever they're trying to do.

NOT fiddling, in our case, is Android + CarHome Ultra + Tasker. These are SINGLE button actions that activate a series of results. IE ... (a) know what you want to do first, (b) tap phone, (c) tap big, easy to hit icon that does what you need it to, (d) profit.

I appreciate your concerns but you're still missing the point.

If we're traveling at speed, on the slab (straight expressway), with minimal traffic, during the day, NO ... my wife won't be watching the f@cking FOOD network on my back. In fact, I take insult that your assumptions go in that direction by default.

Rather, let's say she wants to make a call. We're not talking about texting or holding a phone to your head. This is a hands-free situation in a safe(r) riding environment. CarHome Ultra links to contacts + everything is BIG and easy to press, she taps the direct-call auto dialer and the entire effort is over. She doesn't have to scroll through desktops, find the address app, sort through contacts, decide whether to (God forbid) text, email or call ... ONE BUTTON CALLS. Simple. Easy. Safer than you're considering.

What's more, my pro-buddy teaches the total-control course. He's all about safety and defensive driving. He wants one.

"Blah, blah, blah. I'm safe and secure in my world. Blah, blah,blah."

You are missing our point. We've heard you and we disagree with you.

The majority of people replying to this thread have all expressed similar opinions and concerns. AGAINST this idea of yours. And the only person who expressed a positive interest still had reservations against it. You may take insult to whatever you wish. Human nature has already proven you wrong, and there is nothing you can do or say that will change the fact that others will be stupid while using your creation. You'd best have a good lawyer if you bring this to market.

Maybe a Goldwing forum or similar would be more receptive...

Back